? on flattening agent PPG

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by spicewood1, Jan 1, 2012.

1. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Need to spray some semi flat black on various underhood parts. Never used the PPG Concept black with the liquid flattening agent before, so not sure how much to add to get the proper eggshell. Anybody ever mixed this before. This is too expensive to waste by adding too much you know.

2. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    YES, it is expensive. Do some research and do not take my word. What lustre are you hunting. I ususally start at 30% (10 oz. of paint gets 3oz. of flattener) and do some spray outs. It has been awhile but I sort of remember that 30% is a nice satin like underhood stuff. Adjust from there. Make sure that the bottle of flattener is well mixex (shake the crap out of it) Once you discover a receipe, write it on the bottle or the paint can.

Sorry I cannot give the exact mixture but you may be able to start with this. If you are worried that you will use too much. I recall that 50% yeilds a true flat effect. Going off memory and it has been a couple of years since I had to do this for some motorcycle bodywork I was working. SPI sells flattening agent for less than half of what PPG charges BTW.

3. Paint Fumes

Paint Fumes Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I used the combination you have when I restored a 69 Z28 a few years ago. I don't recall the mix either but they should have a tech sheet to help you with it at the store where you got it. I will tell you this though.. from my experience the PPG flatting agent is very inconsistent. I was unable to get the same results twice in a row, despite meticulous attention to ratios. When I was doing the project I was in close contact with the an instructer at the PPG training center. He came right out and told me that it was an inconsistent product and even he had trouble predicting how it would turn out. I eventually stopped using their flatting agent and now use SEM semi gloss Rust Shield on underhood and chassis parts. It's a perfect match for the factory semi gloss. One problem with it though, it has no UV protection so it is not good where the sun will get to it.

4. earlysecond

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Paint Fumes, thanks for sharing, that is really interesting. I thought maybe it was me that could not mix the same batch twice. I wonder what factors affect the outcome? It is really this simple, you MUST do spray outs and allow them to flash and flatten to see what you are going to get.

Let us know what you come up with!

5. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    go to the ppg store you bought it from, ppg has a chart to go by. it shows you the ratio of agent to paint. basically you can get 3 different tones. flat, eggshell and semi gloss. you need to keep very good records on how much agent you add to the paint also if you add any extra. with the cost of the agent plus the paint why not use the epoxy? it is very very close to the gm shine. plus it takes the guess work out of getting the right shine. a one qt kit is around 65.00 but makes 1/2 gal of sprayable material. here is a inner fender off a t/a i sprayed last night with the epoxy
    [​IMG]

6. earlysecond

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Ken,

Great suggestion to be sure. What brand is that above? SPI?

spicewood Ken has given you excellent advice IF you can return the agent I would. I doubt that you will be able to return the paint.

7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Ken, From what I read (of yours) and what Ive seen in the past (of yours; the above link isnt appearing) I think the SPI epoxy black sounds like a great "look" and a great 2K product. I really need to SEE it in person and draw my own final conclusion.

Many high end restoration shops and owners have their cars over restored, but still very original looking. Original Camaros were painted with lacquer and now almost everybody uses BC/CC. Original frames and sheetmetal were painted/primed/coated with some ultra cheap black lacquer. Now people use Urethane single stage black with flatening agents to retard the gloss level.

One thing I personally dont like too see on inner fenders, core supports, frames etc............is orange peel and dirt/garbage in the paint. These pieces dont get colored sanded and polished with a buffer. What you spray is what you get.

One of the painters that I admire the most uses GLASSURIT/BASF everything.
    His underhood blacks do not have orange peel and with very minor exception are clean and smooooooth.

I'd like to learn how he sets up his IWATA, SATA or whatever gun, what air pressure, what thinner so as his blacks flows out so smooth and even.

8. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    I too am very fond of the SPI epoxy look. I also just sprayed out some parts. BUT, the cured finish feels soft to me and can be marred with a fingernail. I had planned to leave it be, but am concerned that over time the epoxy isn't a hard enough finish. I could be wrong - maybe after a month it cures further?

9. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    for a very close match to GM factory underhood black, PPG Concept can be flattened 30%. As I recall mix Concept normally then add 1/2 as much flattener as product. mix thoroughly (and often!) as the flattener will settle quickly. for a smooth finish back off on the feed and up the pressure a bit, slow reducer will help too.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  10. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    i use the spi epoxy, it is mixed 1 part epoxy and 1 part activator. i then reduce it 10-15% to make it lay flat. i use whatever gun is close. i sprayed these parts last night with my primer gun with a 2.0 tip but you have to know how to use it. someone with little paint exp i would use a good gun with a 1.4 tip. chuck as you know the gm black had runs, bare spots, blotches and was never sprayed as even as the cars today. so i tell people to have at it. if you get a run in the underhood paint do not worry about it. the car had runs from the factory. have fun and enjoy working on your car. here is the back side of the hood i also sprayed last night. i also took a closer pic of the inner fender.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is a 73 t/a, all the black is spi epoxy
    [​IMG]