Old parts...keep them, sell, or recycle?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Jball, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Jball

Jball New Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I recently made a few updates to my 73 LT 350 manual. I have some questions about which parts I may want to:
    - keep with the car in case I ever sell it
    - parts that are worth selling or trade
    - what I should recycle

Here is the brief list:
    - 2 barrel manifold SBC 350
    - Matching Rochester Carburetor
    - Original Distributor
    - Emissions exhaust manifold with air pump

Items I think are worth keeping, but you tell me?
    - Original full length bumper
    - Front original 73 grill
    - Original 2 piece wheels

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I've chunked a bunch of parts back in the 60's & 70's that I wish I had now. :oops:

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

Don't recycle ANYTHING! If you have room, keep the parts in a corner. I've got a work car that had junk in it when I got it. It turned out, it wasn't all junk. The a/c idler pulley assembly was in the pile and now I can't use the a/c. Parts you may thing are junk might be worth a fortune in the future. Original distributor? 2 barrel manifold? EPA manifold with pump? What if 10 or 20 years down the road, someone gets your car and wants to do a concours restoration? Those "junk" parts are what make or break a restoration. I've had cars that I junked decades ago that in hindsight I wish I still had. For instance, a 1954 Dodge Coronet. Yes, it was a 4 door sedan. I could park next to a new Corvette or what have you at a cruise in, pop the hood and people would flock to see that original 241 Hemi engine. It wasn't that fast of a car, but it surprised more than one 4 banger Mustang. Change the wheels and tires to radials and it would run 70 on the interstate with no problem.

So, keep what you can. Some rich guy with more money than sense wants a car like yours and you have the ORIGINAL parts to go with it, and he'll start peeling pictures of Ben Franklin to put in your hand.

74Z28GC3 likes this.
  4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree. Keep all original parts. One person's updates is the next person's downgrades and if you sell the car in the future, the next owner just might pay more if the original parts are still with the car.

74Z28GC3 likes this.
  5. Jball

Jball New Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Thanks guys, I'll consolidate the parts and store them. Its ultimately a space issue that is driving my concern. Meaning, I'm running out of space. Also, because its a 73 LT, I'm not sure it will gleam the same collectible status as completely original Z28. The rarest option on my car seems to be the manual transmission. Only 64XX of them that year. I'm guessing the majority of them in the Z cars.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I personally think it depends on your intentions. Personally since I never plan to sell my car nor do I care what happens to it/value/collectors etc. after I die.... It could fly off a cliff and it wouldnt affect me. Save the parts if you feel you need to, other wise I would sell or toss them.

7. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I would keep them if you have the room and don't need the money.

70-camaro likes this.
  8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'd sell all that stuff except the bumper & grille.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I am a pack rat and keep everything. I have too much crap. I really need to start going through it. Car parts from cars that I haven't had in 40 years that traveled From Pa to FL back in the early 80's. The front end parts I would keep Cause you never know what some J/A might do in a parking lot or where ever.

10. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA