Old member need help with 4th gen camaro/firebird 3.8l

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Steve Kruzich, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I would consider a 350 but then i have to buy new computer, new wiring harness and beef up the springs on the front for the weight, beefier shocks, bigger radiator and it gets into a whole expensive project.

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    The biggest expense of fixing the 3.8 will be labor. If you can do it yourself, a new crank and bearings and some cleaning up of the engine and you will be back in the saddle. I just put some Clevite bearings in my last 3.8 and it outlasted the car. It sounds like yours will need a crank now after all this running while knocking and 0 oil pressure.

3. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    YEs i know the crank will need replaced since the bearings are worn enough to start knocking. I dont' think that i can put oversized in and succeed. It just started knocking so i ahven't run it to damage the crank.

I'm doing the labor. But its still not cheap. 235 dollars for a crank and another 100 for full gasket set, timing chain and gears only have 100k on them but i might as well replace and rering it.

4. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    i just am not excited about pulling the engine. I have to pull transmission with it and thats a tricky proposition with me not having strength to maneuver the motor and tranny. I'll have to get some help to do it.

Once i get it out it wont take me long to disassemble take it up to the carwash and pressure wash everything off of it and then start a build.

5. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    That motor and tranny will be easiest to remove from the lower end. My daughter had a 2001 formula with a blown up LS1 engine and I removed the whole cradle assembly from the lower end. You will have to jack up the car real high and support the car with jack stands and just unbolt the whole engine and transmission cradle. I lowered the combo down with my engine hoist and when I got it down I rested the engine on my motorcycle jack and supported the transmission with my floor jack. It's really not a bad job. Im sure you can find a youtube video on it.

6. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I do not have equipment to do that.
    I"m not that ambitious to do all that extra work. SHould be able to lift it 4" moveit forward set it down then reposition to the front of the chain and angle the tranny downwards and pull out.

7. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    the other thing is that i am doing this on gravel drive don't have a concrete pad to work on. So the jacks won't work even with plywood. they'll just punch through the wood with all that weight on smaller wheels than the cherry picker has.