Old member need help with 4th gen camaro/firebird 3.8l

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Steve Kruzich, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Ok guys, this bugger has cost me a lot of work and money. had bad lifter ticking, fixed that. Then oil pressure went to crap. Previous owner told me after i fixed lifters that he had oil pressure issues and changed the filter and they stopped. I doubt that. He was doing autocross in this car, didn't tell me that when i got it.

Heres what i have done.

New lifters new plugs, wires, intake all done, fuel rail rebuilt. New oil pump new oil pressure switch, new water pump, new timing chain cover since the oil pressure restritcore was scored up.

Here is what has happened.

Fixed lifters, car rand fine with the exception that the oil pressure dropped to zero when warmed up.
    changed Oil pressure switch but did not fix the pressure
    Installed new timing chain cover with oil pump and water pump and Oil pressure restrictor.
    PRIMED the oil pump with vasoline since it melts fast and lubricates til the oil gets into the pump.
    New oil. new filter

Started it up and damn thing started a loud knocking sound. It sounds like rod, but it wasn't knocking to begin with before i changed oil pump.
    Is there anything else i would be missing on the knocking.

I've already spent 600 on fixing it, and if it is going to be a witch i'm just going to pull it and buy the full gaseket set, rings, cambearings and crank kit.

2. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I said i am a old member, i used to live in dahlonega ga, and bought parts from mad mike i think.

3. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2003
    belvidere illinois usa
    if its a rod knock short out or remove each spark plug wire one at a time until the knock goes away and that will be the bad rod but when you changed out your oil pump you should have checked your crank and rod bearings.

4. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Uhm lol when you replace a 3.8l oil pump you are nowhere near the rod and crank bearings :D
    The oil pump on this engine is inside the timing chain cover.
    I figured it out its a rod. Just can't figure out why it would go bad after i put a oil pump in. Was running fine before just losing oil pressure when it warmed up

5. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

Can/did you check the OLD oil and Filter to look for something rare?

6. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    It was brand new oil in it, new filter but no i haven't taken the oil filter off or drained it since the rod started knocking.
    I've just gotta face it i've gotta pull the engine and tranny as a unit and tear it down. Might as well tear down tranny while its out and do a banner overhaul on it. Easier than pulling it later if it goes out.

7. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I spun bearings in two 3.8 Buicks. They aren't as bulletproof as people think. Both times it was after a long wide open run. If yours was autocrossed then it was probably run hard enough to spin bearings. I believe these engines pump too much oil to the top of the engine leaving the pan level too low. They run forever when Grandma drives them.

8. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I figured there was a good reason for the rod bearings to go out after a new oil pump. That makes perfect sense. would a deeper oilpan solve the issue so that it doesn't happen again? I wonder if i can find one that would fit.

Not going to autocross it in anyway, if i want to race i'll build a race engine, not a every day driver engine.

This is the car in my avatar
    . YES i know its a firebird. But they are the same car. Just different decorations.

9. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    junkyards around here would pretty much give away a 3.8 Camaro engine

10. Steve Kruzich

Steve Kruzich New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Shoot not around here. They want 1200 for a grade c motor. If you want one with under 80k miles they want 1800