Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by Chucks73, Mar 18, 2008.

1. rldlloyd

rldlloyd Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Batman/Zbugger/Dave,

Firstly, Hey! On a "federal" car, do you still need to use E.O. parts (i.e. headers, carb, heads, etc.)?

2. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    ^^^ If the car is registered and smogged in California, the answer is YES, it needs to either be a stock replacement part or else have an E.O. number. Sucks, but that's life.

3. rldlloyd

rldlloyd Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Costa Mesa, CA
    em3504b.jpg Got it. Next question: does anyone know where I can find the hose routing sticker, or do I not need that? Mine is completely destroyed an illegible, and I am wanting to get my car out of cryo-sleep (i.e. Non-op) and rejoin my 2nd gen brethren!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    You don't need it, but I think Classic sells them.

How the heck have you been????

5. rldlloyd

rldlloyd Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I've been good! It's good to be back! Classic doesn't have that particular one, as far as I can tell. Do I need stickers that match my VIN (305 2bbl) or what is in there now (350 4bbl)?

How have you been? Hoping to see you all again soon at Las Barcas!

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    The sticker you have is the federal sticker right?

7. rldlloyd

rldlloyd Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Costa Mesa, CA
    ^^^ I'm stickerless at the moment. I'm getting the federal sticker/stickers, but I can't figure out if I need the 305 one or the 350 one.

8. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    My 1975 Formula is exempt. I am running headers and dual exhaust, no air pump or EGR. This is, of course, illegal. If the car is exempt from bi-annual inspection, it must still retain ALL of it's smog equipment.

I still have the air pump and brackets, but for me to pass smog AGAIN means I would have to run single exhuast (no headers allowed beacsue of no E.O. #) a single cat (dual cats are not allowed in a factory single cat application) the air pump and single snorkle thermostatic air cleaner.

Additionally, the 4 speed conversion on my car is also illegal, because the 4 speed equipped 1975 Formula 455 was not available in California.

If it goes back 1966, like it used to be, I will register the car with a relative out of state....Robert

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. SLO_Z28

SLO_Z28 Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Be careful if you do that. I know that people get cited for that ALL the time. Probably the 5th most common cite at our office, behind speed, tinted windows, no license, and DUI.

10. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    It's ridiculous....change the rules and then leave them alone, don't keep changing them back and forth.