Ok, why the smell

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Citrus70, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Did all cars back in the early 70's and before STINK when they were running. I have a rebuilt orig carb on my 70. Built by a long time old timer worker on Chev only cars. The car is tuned up but I still get bad fumes when it is running. No really raw unspent gas fumes, just stinky burnt fuel smell is the best I can put it. After I drive the car or am around it while running I have to take a shower.
    Carb need adjusting? Timeing/Dwell need more fine tuning?

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    pre cat . the cat burned everything . last time i got the 73 inspected , the old guy in the shop says " i smell raw fuel "

3. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    We have no inspection law in Illinois so it's not uncommon for people to remove the converter for whatever reason. You can always tell when you're behind one of them because my eyes start to burn and the air just stinks.
    I read somewhere that a car without a converter emits the same amount of air pollution that 100 cars that have a converter.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    You've joined the Muscle Car era and have to put up with a few old things, like the smell of exhaust. Your not alone.

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    it's either raw fuel or extreme hydrocarbons . both will bring a tear to your eye .

6. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    So all the cars back in the day ran around a stunk this bad? How the hell did you go into work in a suit and smell like fumes.

7. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Would it hurt to put some cheaper cats on it and clean it up some.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

the clean air act was not all bad!

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    here is 1970s LA , WOW ! [​IMG]

10. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Joplin, Missouri
    Part of the smell could be todays' fuel as well. I played with mine a little bit because of the same issue. When I put ethanol free fuel in the tank, I could lean down the idle circuits and wouldn't get the stumble and rough idle at stoplights like I do on regular pump fuel, and it seemed like the rich smell was a little better. No science to back this up, just my own little experiment. Would love to get my hands on some old school premium leaded fuel to try it for a couple of tanks.