Ok, I'll play. My garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by BonzoHansen, Aug 8, 2009.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Ok, I like my garage, but I don't love it. It's attached and there is that damn steel post. That pole is the bain of my existence. It mocks me daily.

I have some storage plans for the yards & basement that I need to do to get more crap out of the garage. I need to room for the 67 to come home soon..

My ~22x25 shack...

LF & RF corners. I've shoved storage where ever I could.
    That black car is the 99 Z28 I cut up with a sawz-all. :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

R&L corners over the doors - more shelves & speakers. Even hanging off the ceiling over the garage doors. This is one for hoods & stuff. There is one on the other side holds large pieces of cardboard.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Small bench in the corner, but I have a large rolling bench that is strong as hell.

I love my epoxy floor. Brightens everything up, easy to keep clean. I used u-coat-it with excellent results. It is all about the prep. IMO, it does not go as far as they claim either. I think they said the kit I got covers up to 575 sq ft. I struggled to cover 525. Maybe my floor was real pourous (I did etch the hell out of it), I don't know. that was the only issue I had. So far it has proven pretty tough and really brightened up the garage. I did it August 2006.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fridge & 80g 2 stage IR
    [​IMG]

The stereo.
    [​IMG]

2. 78LTCAM

78LTCAM Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
    Looks good!! You did a really nice job on the floor. Was it exspensive? Maybe a small out building to all the extra stuff in. I suppose your working on that. Car also looks great. Good job. PS Maybe therapy about the pole thing would help!! LOL. :happy:

3. Nevada RS/SS

Nevada RS/SS Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Plainfield, IL.
    Nice garage, floor looks good.
    Knew I was'nt the only one with a ceiling fan in my garage, neighbors thought I was crazy.
    My last garage had one of those poles....PITA....always in the way.

4. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Nice shop Scott, I know the pole blows, only option tho would be to replace it with a laminated beam...$$$$$$$$

5. INSPECTOR57

INSPECTOR57 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lol - I have a ceiling fan too. When I replaced the one in the kids bedroom I couldn't stand to throw it out so up it went.

Bonzo Hanson; I am also hoping to get some of the clutter moved out soon! Amazing how sh uh stuff accumulates so fast:) Gary

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    Can you translate that to retard?(me)
    so would the laminated beam be a lateral instead of the vertical support he's got now? How much would something like that be?

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, I want that, what is the budget on that?

The fan is actually great in the winter. I have a little propane 'rocket' heater and with the fan it is much better. That fan used to be in out dining room - I think the old owners had a thing for the old west, lol

8. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    vss

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  9. Mr.SS

Mr.SS Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2006
    NS.
    I think that would be the easiest and least expensive way to go. That pole is a major PITA. :( You sure have a lot of stuff crammed in there though. That building is almost the same size as mine, I have a spare hood and stuff suspended from the ceiling as well. Have to make use of all the space you can. ;)

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Unilam in Sidney, NY ( http://www.unalam.com/ ) could give you a quote on a laminated beam. I've heard that fire insurance is less expensive with a laminated/wood beam than a steel "I" beam.

moms1988: do you have the room to build your garage 28' wide instead of 22'? Twenty eight feet gives you 2' on each side of a vehicle so that the doors don't "clang". 55' is an "odd" dimension too as I found out that dimensionally, garages are ususally built in 4' panels (plywood being 4' X 8') so your garage should be either 52' or 56'.

Basic trueism: no matter how big a garage you build, it will NEVER be big enough AND you'll have it FULL in no time at all. EX: our 28' X 36' X 10' high garage with a 12' X 50' X 8' to 12' high lean too is FULL. Only enough room for ONE car in four car garage.