Oil Pressure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Coadster32, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I kept having my oil dipstick push out, and oil leaking from where the tube goes into the block. I have since fixed that problem, but now notice my oil pressure seems to read higher on the gage than it used to. It's a higher pressure pump, so it reads a little higher than a normal gage would anyway. It reads about 15-20psi higher than it used to, and that seems like alot to me. It's an electric gage, and the sending unit is about 3 years old. I had a mechanical gage hooked up with it at one point in time to confim it's accuracy, but since got rid of it. I have a PVC setup in the passenger side valve cover, and a breather in the other. Could this be a crankcase pressure issue I'm seeing on the gage? Coincidentally, did the gage start going south, or am I missing something? The oil pan isn't overfilled.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I think I would confirm with a mechanical gauge. The pcv system shouldn't effect oil pressure. Just remember that (oil) pressure is really resistance. If you're still using same oil, filter, etc, you shouldn't really see an increase.

3. Coadster32

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Thanks. I have a new gage coming tomorrow, electric. On an outside chance, also going to change the oil filter. If these two don't take care of it, I'll confirm with a mechanical gage. I do agree with that theory.

4. Coadster32

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Went for a little criuse last night. Gage shot up past 80, wasn't taching more than 3k. I went straight home. Too nervous to chance anything. Thinking if something is plugged up, it would cause this as well. I hope it's something simple.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Same gauge or new gauge? I thought it was going to be a bad electric gauge too.

6. Coadster32

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Same gage. Coincidentally got worse on that last ride. New sending unit and filter are going in tonight. Hoping it takes care of the problem.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    As CorkyE said, generally the crank case pressure is not related to oil pressure. I do find that the older dipstick or cheap aftermarket ones do not seal up well, and have a tendency to "pop up".

Hitting the 80psi with a "high pressure" pump and not changing anything internal is to be somewhat expected. Is your filter mount bypass tapped & plugged? Also, what was your oil temp at 3k?? and kind of oil/viscosity your using.? I can hit 80 psi by 3k, but the oil is cold.. JMO

8. Coadster32

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Glad you brought this up...just heard about this by-pass thing. Should I assume it's where the filter mounts to the block? I was under the impression there was a bypass on the pump. Also thought about a little bit of lower psi compressed air into the filter holes in the block when the filter is out, thinking like 25psi, (thoughts on this idea??)

Using 10w-30 synthetic. It's about 75-85 degrees in CT when I normally take the car out lately. Not sure about oil temp, as I have no gage for that. I've had this pump for a few years now, and the pressure is higher than a stock one, but never really ran this high before. The only thing different is the oil filter. Carquest has a new Part number for the Camaro, and the filter is only 1/2 the size. Not happy about that, and will be switching brands. For now, I have another 1/2 size filter in the garage to use up, and will be going in tonight.

9. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Sounds like it might be a oil filter problem. Make sure you get a full size brand name filter, Wix, Napa, Baldwin, etc.

10. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Wix 51061, full size.