Oil Pressure Sender Connector

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by MP81, Dec 3, 2017.

1. MP81

MP81 Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    I'm running into an issue where my choke is not opening all the way, and I also happen to have the oil pressure light on (I don't think it actually is low) - I've been asking around on Cliff's forums trying to solve this, and one of the members there suggested that the oil sender does control current going to the choke.

Regardless of if that is causing the oddly low voltage of 10.5-11V going to the choke, instead of 12, I went over and looked at the oil sender - playing around with it, that connector seems incredibly loose...is that how it is designed? It does not appear to be deformed or anything, but I feel like the connector should nap down over the circular part the contacts stick out of, but it is the wrong shape.

Is it just this poorly designed (hence that goofy plastic color that sort of holds in in place - though it still moves all around with ease) or should it be much tighter? The round opening in the connector does not appear to be 100% round - one side is slightly flatter, making it not fit over the sender.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The connections should be tight if the choke is going to get full 12 volts. Since you also have the oil pressure light on, I would look at that connection too. If it is just loose connections, you can fix it with new connectors or by tightening them. If not, check out the sender for proper function and if it is messed up, put in a new sender.

3. MP81

MP81 Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    So how far should it sit down on the oil pressure sender? Flat to flat, as one would normally expect?

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The oil sender with two connections is the one used for an electric choke setup.

The connector should fit down all the way to the top of the sending unit.

5. MP81

MP81 Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Ok - then I don't think mine is sitting down all the way. The edge of the connector is about 1/4" past where I feel like the connector should mate to the sender - meaning the connector should end at the hex portion of the sender - right now, the end is sitting right about even with the surface the contacts come out of.

How could the connector become mis-shapen internally all by itself?

6. MP81

MP81 Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    I made a quick "jumper" cable to go between the sending unit and the connector to ensure a good connection and would ya look at that...the choke worked, the car no longer runs so rich it smokes and tries to burn eyes and nose, and the oil pressure light is off.

Now I just need to figure out how to fix/replace the connector...at least for the time being, my cable fits in nice and snug, and I do not foresee it going anywhere.