Oil Filter Removal Final Solution

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by digo, Apr 22, 2015.

1. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Waskom, TX
    Nice tool. I had to use an air chisel before (no, I didn't put it on). Oil filters that are on too tight (or the people who put them that way) is a pet peeve of mine.

2. Maine1

Maine1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Franklin County, Maine
    OP -- Super idea .. Thanks for sharing

3. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Similar concept. Same issue had a stuck oil filter on my truck, tried several types of filter wrenches, ended up bending the filter so nothing could grip it well. Tried the screwdriver and it just cut it in half. Tried using a chisel on the filter holes to push it off, no dice. Ended up making the pictured tool. Still have it somewhere
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pajeff02

pajeff02 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Mansfield, PA
    That was a good fix. I am a big fan of homemade tools when the need arises.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    The reason I put my filters on pretty tight is because somebody loosened the oil filter on my brothers car once while he was at a bar. At night with the tunes on you don't notice gauges or knocks. I don't know why the idiot light didn't come on sooner but the engine was toast. I always figured if somebody was going to try that trick on me he will have to have a good grip. Sometimes there is a method to the madness.

6. typeLT73

typeLT73 Member

May 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    Yeah, I hate having to fight a filter but when I have to I use a nylon strap oil filter wrench. It tightens around the filter and squeeze the heck out of it until it finely comes off. I'll never go at with the old screwdriver trick.

7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Have had the oil filter adaper bace bolt come lose and drop down and catch one of the holes in the filter, would only turne a little each way. Finly after cutting the filter away, a day on my back side ,, i got where i could see some thing sticking down,pushed it back up and the rest of filter came right off. Check them their bolts for tightness.Maybe

8. pajeff02

pajeff02 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Mansfield, PA
    I broke down and bought a pair of filter pliers two years ago. So far, I have not encountered anything that they can not handle.

9. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Only issue with filter pliers is I cannot see them fitting up between the headers and engine to get at the oil filter on my Camaro. Would probably be fine for my other cars though.

10. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    I had to tie a strap around one once, used a screw driver to get the strap extremely tight, and had some one else tug at the strap. took forever, but got it done.