Oil Filter Removal Final Solution

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by digo, Apr 22, 2015.

1. digo

digo New Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Just bought a 1978 Z28 two weeks ago. Went to do an oil change and nothing would remove the filter. Even the large screwdriver didn't work, tore the filter and bent the screwdriver.......

Stripped the oil filter down to the mounting plate and had this tool made:

[​IMG]

Here it is in place on the oil filter base. Simply used socket and breaker bar to spin off the filter base:

[​IMG]

Another view of the tool in the filter base:

[​IMG]

For this oil filter 1/4" bolts fit in the oil filter base holes. Holes in the tool are 5/16" to give a little of bit of wiggle room to get the bolt spacing right. Hope this comes in handy for the absolute final solution to remove a stuck oil filter.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Neat looking tool.

Don't know why some grease monkeys feel a need to put the gorilla grip on a oil filter. I've chiseled them out in pieces before.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Like you and Corky, I've had to chisel them off the car after some idiot turned them on too tight. The good news is that it hasn't happened to me in the last 30 years since I don't let idiots touch my vehicles anymore.

4. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Need to patent that and sell it through summit. I've only had a couple filters that took some creative engineering but that's simply brilliant.

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Oil on the seal and a half turn after contact works every time for me. That tool is pretty cool. Hope I never need one.

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    GREAT tool OP!

a few years ago it took me 6 hours to remove the oil filter on a 96 454 Suburban....I traded it in the next day I was so pissed

7. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Hiram, GA

I concur!

8. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    I've had a few of these that I got off with a chisel after totally destroying the oil filter. All of the stuck filters I had were on first time oil changes on new vehicles. Some gorilla at GM must not know their own strength.

To the OP...great tool and thanks for sharing!

Ohhhh...and WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!

-Mark

9. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Nice! - I hate those sticky filters!

10. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    I had that happen to me but it was in my boat. I have to 350's side by side with the exhaust manifolds running up and over all four sides of the motors. None of my filter wrenches would touch it. The filter ended up twisting into a big mess. Next I tried the screwdriver trick. That did not work either. I ended up taking off the exhaust manifold so I could see the filter base with a mirror. I ended up using a heavy duty pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers and sticking them in the same holes and doing little 1/16 turns. Took me the better part of a weekend. They never go on past hand tight any more.