OEM Hurst shifter info needed

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by crashent, Feb 20, 2018.

1. crashent

crashent Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Kenosha, Wi.
    I'm in the process of rebuilding a bunch of GM OEM Hurst shifters...

My question is, are all 1970 Camaro OEM shifter body's Cad/Zinc plated, if not when was the change over...

What is the correct finish for the mounting plate, rods, and adjusters...

Thanks in advance... Crash

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Have you contacted Hurst ?

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    View attachment 52879
    No.

The changeover from cadmium plating to zinc phosphate occurred I believe around the early-mid June timeframe. Cadmium is hard to find anyone doing these days, due to EPA issues, so clear zinc plating is about as close as you can get. I've heard of places in Mexico still doing the cadmium, if you want to pursue that.

Pete Serio at Precision Pontiac is the best there is at doing shifters: http://precisionpontiac.net/

Good thread here:

http://nastyz28.com/threads/4-speed-shifter-restoration.223286/

The linkages and mounting plates are zinc phosphate plated. Easy to do at home or send to Pete or send to Steve Gregori at brakeboosters.com or whoever local to you. The main bolt is bright zinc and the other bolts a manganese phosphate. The bolts that hold the rod plates to the shift forks are bright zinc

Here are photos of my self-restored 04B 70 trans and shifter:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Here's another nice photo of Frank Arone's top scoring 1970 Z28 restoration. Not sure if Frank did this himself or it may have been Pete Serio.
    https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=fabcca2c70de48aede4c070956897d8c&oe=5B1086CA

The lock nuts that lock the rods to the blocks on his a bright but I have also seen them manganese phosphated from well respected restorers, so not sure on this. On mine I phosphated them.

I think the bolts that hold the shift rod plates to the shift forks on the side cover are supposed to be phosphated. I will change mine. Bolt finish is somewhat a variable target as GM purchased bolts from several suppliers and I have never seen any engineering docs for components like this. You just have to go sometimes with the majority of whats out there.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    FYI... Hurst has a restoration department where they restore their own shifters. That's where I had mine done and they did an excellent job!
    As mentioned above there was a change over on the plating finish for the shifter body. An exact date hasn't been determined but sometime around June 1970 sounds about right. I seem to recall some members with cars built before June already having zinc phosphate plated shifters and some members with June/July built cars still having Cadmium/clear zinc shifters? So there appears to be some overlap?
    The Cadmium/clear zinc shifters usually rusted easily whereas the zinc phosphate shifters held up much better.

6. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    As for the changeover from silver cad/clear zinc to phosphate on the shifter body, I had an April dated original body phosphated, so I do not believe there was a solid changeover stop/start date.

Also, thought I'd add this photo of a 22k original mile survivor 70Z previously owned by Jack Seymour. The shifter body bolts appear to be manganese phosphated...as well as the mounting plate. Could be the lighting in the photo...not really sure, but it does appear in the pics to be darker than zinc phosphate. Input and opinions welcome :)
    129646836.jpg

7. crashent

crashent Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Kenosha, Wi.
    I want to thank everybody for input/information... I have 6 shifters body's...

12903240---silver
    02003141---silver
    0400431C---silver
    0600612P---silver--- mint like new survivor...
    0600622M---silver
    0700731C---gray

Are the rod adjusters on the later gray shifters gray also???

Thanks... Crash

8. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    For another data point, I just started the disassembly/cleaning/restoration process on my original shifter rods and the lock nuts are phosphated...so I will be restoring them as phosphated.