Nothing but a click at the solenoid

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 8pack, Dec 26, 2017.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i have been installing a Sniper EFI system. The battery has been disconnected while installed save for a couple of times for a few minutes where I needed to check power to certain leads. The battery is fully charged. When I put the car away in November everything was working fine.

A few questions and need some trouble shooting help. I tried jumping the starter but got nothing, not even a click, I think that is because I have to bypass the clutch safety switch before I can do that? How do I do that, just pull the plug and connect the 2 terminals? Or I suppose I could tape the plunger down. No one to hold the clutch while I try it.

Before I take the battery out to have it tested I want to eliminate anything I can. I don’t want to waste money on a new battery to find out it is something else.

Any direction or pointers are welcome please....

It is also around 35* in the garage. Coolant temp on the sniper display reads 39*....

Thanks!

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    You could jam
    A 2x4 between seat and clutch pedal.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    If you jump the power at the starter, you don't need a neutral safety switch at all. The neutral safety switch simply keeps power off the key ignition to starter line.

I would check the battery first and the battery cables for corrosion second. Put a voltmeter on the battery when you turn the key to make sure the battery stays up at 12v. Check both at the battery itself and also on the cables connected to the battery.

4. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I tried touching with a screw driver the main power terminal at the solenoid to the terminal with the fusible link to it....I think those are the correct terminals. Nothing at all. But I do get he click when I turn the key.....seem so odd I get nothing jumping the solenoid. Not even a spark.

No corrosion on the battery. Totally clean.

The sniper reports voltage so I will crank it and see what kind of voltage drop I get.

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Pull the headlights on and try cranking over the motor. If the headlights go off then there may be a connection issue(s) with either the main positive connection at the battery or down at the starter solenoid and/or a ground connection issues at the battery or where that connection is on the engine block. If they do not go off, then there may be an issue with the starter.

Jim

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Like others have mentioned, check your cables for good connections. Especially the ground cable where it meets the frame. Any white or greenish fluff is corrosion. You can bypass the clutch switch by pulling it off the clutch pedal assembly and using a jumper wire to make a connection. Once you eliminate that, Take a long piece of wood and put it on the starter. Then whack it with a DBH (Darn Big Hammer). You should have gotten something when you jumped the connections at the starter. You can always pull it and take it to AutoZone to check. It could be a stuck starter but I'd make sure it's NOT the wiring first.

7. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Before you get too deep into it, just try cleaning the battery terminals/cables.

I had the same issue years ago and it turned out to be battery terminal corrosion.

8. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Here is another trick. Have someone turn the key while you tap the starter with a hammer. If it cranks, bad starter.

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok. Got it figured out! Bad connection on the starter to battery. Cranked the key and my sniper fired right up. Awesome!

Thanks for the help and the tips!

10. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Nice to have that repaired. Good to hear you got it.