Not trying for a political thread, but Bowe Bergdahl just avoided prison time.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    I do not have any military relevance, nor has anyone I know been in the military but I certainly appreciate all of the men/women who put their lives at risk for our freedoms.

As a 50 year old adult male I was absolutely shocked that the guy didn't get lots and lots of prison time. He deserted his post, making him a traitor at best. His actions led others into harms way while searching for him, I find this deplorable and view his actions as an act of treason against this great country that we live in. - For all we know, his ultimate goal may have even been to switch sides and join their forces but unforseen to him, could have been denied by their leaders. - Sure he suffered in their hands but that was a risk he chose to take when he deserted his post.

I am stunned that this guy is being allowed to walk away, scott free and with benefits. I feel this ruling was an injustice to all of the people who have and continue to protect our homeland. ( and believe this ruling could provide a forward looking example for any other "Dances with Wolves" wannabees who chooses a similar path).

--

Smokey15 and wiseryder like this.
  2. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    A dishonorable discharge disqualifies him from any and all benefits.

3. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    That’s are real insult to America. Granted he’s going to lose out on lots of military benefits. I wonder how those soldiers that searched for him feel about that judgment?

wiseryder likes this.
  4. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    Sure is!
    Doubt there going to like it

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes you re correct but if he's got a service connected injury then that injury can be treated at a VA Med center

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I am staying out of the passing judgment or viewpoint on this one but facts are facts he did get a demotion in rank as part of the sentence and a dishonorable discharge plus the time spent in the taliban hands was taken into consideration.

I do respect the ground folks that worked on trying to get him back and more over the guy's that put themselves in harm's way for this country. I live by the VA in king WI I can't count the number of times i have stopped to push the wheelchair folks back to the VA building folks are awesome.

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

More than likely he's got PTSD from being held captive . Now having PTSD is a service connected injury . depending on his mental state the VA can set his disability from 10% to as much as 100%

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

AGAIN, I admit I did nothing to actually protect my country.
    I enlisted, I re-enlisted, I served with pride & honor, I had health issues, and didn't get to serve as long as I wanted,
    but while I was there, I sure as hell didn't pussy out when it was hard. You signed on the dotted line!!!!

That being said, I bet the farm all those hero's that lost their life serving this screwed up country are rolling over in their graves!!!!

This is a despicable decision, beyond ridiculous, and that judge is a POS loser!!!!

The punishment system in this country is insane.

Murderers walking the streets, how in the hell is that ever allowed to happen!!!!

Zstar, Smokey15 and muscl car like this.
  9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    I know you were close to this, Don. Col. Nance was the judge, and he didn't put his reasoning out there. I read the appeal is automatic in the case of punitive discharge. Gen. Abrams will review.

This isn't civilian justice, this is court-martial under UCMJ. Not the same. Again, Col. Nance will have to explain, and he ain't talking.

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    So how do you pussy off a ship? jump of the side?