Not trying for a political thread, but Bowe Bergdahl just avoided prison time.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Nov 3, 2017.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    How is it possible to get such a leniant punishment? Was it due to trump blasting him on the campaign trail? If I murder someone, and everyone tells people I do and I plea guilty of it, what does it matter that my supervisor is blasting me for murdering/somethign I already did? Just slightly confused.

Its personal to me due to the fact my men and I was there suffering looking for him, I was there and he was my neighbor in alaska as we was same unit. I was a co and he was b co. lived 100 feet from eachother and knew eachother from all the field exercises/pt daily.

I just feel that he got off super light, isnt there a guy whos in leavenworth for cheating on his spouse??

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/03/politics/bowe-bergdahl-sentenced/index.html

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Auburn NY
    Yea ok , it's not going to politicize, not at all.

carr911 likes this.
  3. FreedomPenguin

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    The question I want to know is how can someone who did a crime, get a less punishment just for people talking about him doing the crime that he plead guilty too.

It doesn't make sense to me. All the comments I read are "trumps comments ruined this trial" but why would it matter when he did the crime? It seems really strange.

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    The way i understand this is that this guy's Attorneys asked that he go free and that the 5 years he spent with the Taliban being torchered, starved and whatever else they did to him be equivalent to time served and....They got their request granted.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I was going to send you a PM when I heard he was going to plead guilty. I remember some of the things you posted and hoped him admitting he was a POS would bring some sort of peace to the guys that served with him. It never crossed my mind he would get off without doing time and I figured it would be a significant amount of time too. I'm completely flabbergasted the dude got off and can't really comprehend how or why. I think the media will spin it to rally their point of view but in the end it all really hurts the men and women like you that served with him. In a time where everyone is called a hero it losses it's meaning. My hat's off to you young men and women that volunteered after 911 knowing full well you were going to be put in harms way. God bless and I'm sorry the judge didn't think enough of you guys to really punish this asshole.

6. FreedomPenguin

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just read that he is doing an appeal to keep his benefits and probably get a general/honorable discharge. How is something like this even possible? I do remember making that thread, it really upset me back when I first saw him on tv and everyone was calling him a war hero. That is when I made that thread in SP. I dont want him dead or anything like that but come on, like I mentioned people under UCMJ get prison over tons of things, not literally walking off and asking for the taliban with the local villagers. I dont see this setting a good example for future soldiers either.

The thread can be deleted, it just kind of got to me hearing this and all the comments I read people was blaimg trumps comments, which shouldnt matter since it was a trial by judge, not jury. judge isnt impacted by the comments of anyone except his book atleast i believe.

Atleast the people of the usa know the truth. I remember seeing on news entire towns filled his picture with wreaths and proud signs and everything back and the government was claiming he served with honor and distinction. Atleast they can now realize he was a liar the entire time.

Smokey15 likes this.
  7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Step back a bit and separate yourself from personal interest in the case. He probably would have done less than 5 years anyway. The soldier who committed treason is already out. Plus, Uncle Sam paid for him to become a her. Bad paper will follow him the rest of his life. You are getting care, or at least are eligible for, care from the VA. Dishonorable discharge means he is not. He is reduced in rank to private. Even if he manages to get benefits restored, which isn't very likely, he will basically have served for nothing.

The uproar about Trump is he is the President. He is only one arm of the government. His is the administrative arm. There is also the legislative (Supreme court and Justice Department) and the legislative arm (Congress). Because he is the Commander-in-Chief, he has to stay above the legal issues with the military and let the military actions take their course.

8. FreedomPenguin

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    I appreciate the comment and looking at it, I understand it, just disappointed. I do use the va, and I appreciate it, though I carry my own insurance. I really hope he cannot get any access to the benefits, otherwise the dishonorable discharge would be gone and he would be a regular guy like nothing wrong slap on the wrist. im done ranting, didnt make me feel any better lol. just mad

Smokey15 likes this.
  9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Checking the VA websites , a Veteran with a BCD can get healthcare at the VA . However it is only for service connected injuries only

10. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies