Not for the car build but shopping or thinking about a bandsaw

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by cubangt, Jun 22, 2015.

1. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    So I have a small personal project im trying to do, I have access to a portable corded band saw and torch for 2 cuts I need in some 3/4 plate.

But at the same time I would like to get my own so im not dependent on someone else to do it, plus once I have these 2 thick pieces cut, I will need to make cuts in some 1/4 thick flat bar for the rest of the project.

so my question is, will a bench top band saw be able to cut thru the 3/4 with the right blade? What should I be looking at when choosing one(bench or portable)

I noticed that a lot of the portable can only do up to 6" cuts or at least that's what the opening is.

I don't have room for a full size band saw now, but may be able to squeeze in a bench top or even a portable for sure..

2. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

A bench top should be able to handle most jobs that a floor model will do with the right blade.

3. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
  4. hot72rod

Yes it can, but a couple of things come into play. Feed rate, blade type, and some kind of cooling. Truth be told you will need a heavier unit then that to cut 3/4 plate.

5. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    yea, I figured, that's why im opting to let someone else do it for me and I can worry about cutting the smaller 1/4 myself.

6. Widowmaker01

Widowmaker01 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North East, PA
    If you do metal work from time to time I'd go with a plasma cutter before a bandsaw. I found a used one on CL for $100 and had my doubts but what a time saver! It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052OX876/?tag=bpcr-20 It cuts up to 1/2" thick steel and I've used mine to cut 1/4" plate and it went thru it like butter.

7. hot72rod

Agree, will also come in handy when doing body work.

8. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Yea plasma cutter is on list of tools to get one day along with a torch setup. The thinner stuff I have 1/4 plate/flat bar I should be able to cut with circular saw using a good steel cutting blade though right?

9. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    1/4" stock is getting pretty darn thick for a circular saw or small band saw. Chop saw and cutting torch would be my picks (well plasma cutter would be 1st pick of course)

I used a metal cutting blade in a compound miter saw to cut my roll bar tubing and plates years ago and that was not fun... Tube was mild steel .134" wall (alittle over 1/8" thick) and plates was 1/8"

Since then I have added a 14" chop saw and a cutting torch outfit to my tool stash and so glad that I did.

Both was used buys.. $25 yard sale score on the dewalt chop saw. $300 craigslist score for cutting torch... Both bottles (large about chest high, can't remember size), 25' hose, both regs., torch, cutting head, and a bag full of welding, brazing, cutting, heating tips, striker, goggles, etc.