Not enough hood clearance

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The stock hood will not close with the Edelbrock 2701 intake (Performer eps) and 1406 carb (600cfm). I can see the hood sitting on the front of the air cleaner.

• 3/8" thick heat soak gasket is installed as recommend by Edelbrock to prevent gas in the float bowl boiling. It does happen at least on mine
    • Original body mounts were replaced
    • A drop base is not possible for it (or any other base) can not get past the distributor cap (Mallory HEI)
    Any distributors available with narrower caps? No to a point distributor
    Thin material from which a heat soak gasket can be made?

Replace the 2701 with the 2101 but prefer other options first

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you tried a factory drop base air filter .It sets a little lower than an aftermarket one. Or raise the back of the hood just a little bit or check out the Weiand triangle or Hi-Tek air filter set ups,

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    You can get an electronic ignition to retro fit into a point distributor. I cut about a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the air cleaner base to lower it to fit under my hood. Not sure if that would work for you.

image.jpeg

4. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The 1406 has electronic choke but there is enough distance below the base surface for a slight amount of drop

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Some of my drop base air cleaners will clear an HEI and others won't. There are minor differences in different manufacturers. I had to trim around 1/4" off one drop base to clear the HEI. Nobody will ever see it.

6. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ New Member

Aug 18, 2017
    IMG_4559.JPG I had the same problem Edlebrock Rpm preformed intake with an Edlebrock 1405 manual choke carb it hit the air cleaner stud and wing nut I ended up putting an 1980 z28 hood scoop on it and cutting out the parts that hit the hood as well I adjusted the hood up a bit in the back

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have the cheapo chrome Edelbrock drop base cleaner and it clears the hood and Mallory HEI distributor on my 79. This is a 3" filter, siting on top of an Air Gap, NOS Cheater plate and Holley 750dp, HP style main body.