NOS vs repop

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Alex n, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Alex n

Alex n Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I spent the better part of yesterday trying to fit the repop trunk filler panel on my 70, it just wouldn't fit properly no matter what I did, I took a shot on craigslist and some guy had one listed 30 mins away, I jumped on it and picked it up, the son of a bitch fell right into place, I have had the same problem with repop fenders, the moral of the story is fix original metal before resorting to repop stuff, its so worth it

2. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    ALL of my sheet metal is GM. It was so worth it for easy assembly.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree. That doesn't apply only to sheet metal. Very few aftermarket parts for any part of the car will fit and perform like the original GM parts. Never throw away any original part that can be fixed even if it means lots of work. Never modify anything original on the car to make aftermarket parts fit. Cut and modify the aftermarket part instead and likely one day in the future you can toss the aftermarket part in the trash and install an old half -worn out original part in its place when you find one.

Zstar likes this.
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    x2. What Gary said. He's spot on the mark.

5. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    My body is 100% Chinese . Except for the roof. OK I shouldnt say that . The Chinese trunk lid was so bad I threw it across the garage and replaced it with an almost as ill fitting rusted out OEM model from ebay. The rest of the parts give me plenty of stuff to do. Painting in April.

To be fair Ive turned a '79 into a '70 ish so I'm a heathen to begin with.

You can make Chinese parts fit. It just takes more fitting and its really the only choice if you have a big block with a decent intake and want/need a cowl hood.

6. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I'm going through quite the exercise to get proper pulley alignment using all OEM stuff except for a proform alum water pump and summit balancer....