NOS 8 Tracks?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Burd, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    image.jpg Here's the Zep, and I see these GM Tapes up here at the swaps, this one is 1978

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I have a bunch in one of my lower drawers in my office at home. Also two 8 track players from a second Gen Camaro and another was in a Firebird. They worked 20 years ago but have been in another drawer as well the cases are not on but they worked.

70 Proof likes this.
  3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Reading this thread got me to thinking about back in the day. I dropped some papers off to be singed by a guy I work with. his kids were looking at my old Plymouth beater. Especially the third pedal on the floor. What popped into my head was a race a buddy and I got in without knowing about it.

Back around '73, a friend had a '69 Cougar he had got with a grenaded engine. He pulled the shot 302 and dropped a hopped up 351W in its place. It was late on a Saturday night and we were headed back to a party we had been at. As we were waiting at a light, a little old lady in a blue 1965 or '66 Chevy Biscayne or Bel Air pulled up next to us. She raced her engine a few times to challenge us to a race. My buddy raced his engine and we were going to have a little fun with her. The light turned green and that Chevy lit the tires up and left us. At the next light, he was really going to go after her. The light changed and she left twin stripes again. Each time she'd grab a gear, the car would raise on its suspension. We got dusted. He mentioned that maybe we shouldn't mention this around the guys. Come Monday., I told the guys. :)

A few months later after graduation, I was up at a local track and saw the same car. It was a young guy with a crew cut. He had done two tours in Vietnam and was in the reserves. When he was at his two weeks duty, his mother had "borrowed" his car. I told him about the race and he said he wondered how it got an extra 600 miles while he was gone. Granny in the blue Chevy was running a blueprinted 427 with a TH400 with a manual shift kit and 4.11 positraction.

budro6968 likes this.
  4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Specmo here used to repair GM radios, when I put my Original 8 track back in, I put a new belt and bulb in, , the lady came from the back room with a new face for my 8 track, $10. I almost $hit.

5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Neat story! My mom drove a 64 GTO and surprised a lot of kids racing them at stop lights and left them in the dust!

Dave Nelson likes this.
  6. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I have a bag of 8 tracks I am saving so when I finish my car and take it to a show I plan on leaving a tape halfway in the player and the others in a wood crate on the passenger seat.

7. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    Thats cool-Id love to find those Zeppelin ones still wrapped in plastic-awesome!!

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I got one of those trans am in console looking 8 tracks,tow knobs on one side. would like to know where to get a belt for it

9. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Hogg, try here I send my 8 track tapes there for repair, they have many parts.
    http://www.katestrackshack.com/

10. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Could it possibly be a Peaches Records & Tapes wooden crate? Not sure if anyone remembers that record store.