North Carolina

Discussion in 'The Carolinas (North & South)' started by Coadster32, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Hey guys. Just came back from a trip to North Carolina and was wondering about our cars doen there. Do they do classic/antique plates there...Emissions exempt...things like that. Seemed like a pretty nice area around the Charlotte section. Also wondering how the manufacturing trade was down there. CT life is getting old.

2. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

yes you can get classic plates and 96 or older requires safety inspection only, 35 yrs or older no inspection, lol 2 new families in my neighborhood from CT and both enjoy their hot rods!

3. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    I lived in Charlotte for a couple years, liked it a lot. Ended up moving back to Florida where my immediate family was. However there is a bunch of machine shops there. Work in the CNC arena is plentiful. Or was when I left (about 8 years ago), I don't see it changing much.

4. GsLawLess79

GsLawLess79 Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Goldsboro, NC
    From what I know 79 and below no emissions. There was no benefit for me to do the classic tag and it was actually cheaper to go with standard tag.

5. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

Only OBDII up requires emissions, everything older is safety inspection until 35 yrs then No inspection

6. Coadster32

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Sweet. Great replys guys. Really appreciate it. How about titling. CT doesn't do titles after 25 years...they just go by last registration. My car is legit here in CT, but not sure how I'd get around the title bit down there.

7. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    Any car brought into the state that's 35 years old or older has to have a vin verification inspection done by the license and theft division of the DMV, once that is completed and they deem the car is legit they will issue you a title. There's both advantages and disadvantages to antique tags, some counties determine the tax value on the true market value and some do it off of blue book value. Antique tags cap the tax value at $500 but have use restrictions and cost more. If you live in a county that uses blue book for tax value then there's no advantage to antique tags. There's no safety inspection required for cars over 35 years old. I was involved with the writing of the current titling law so if you have any questions feel free to message me.

8. Coadster32

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Cool. How's the manufacturing in your area?

Also...thank you 71RS for that info as well.