Non destructive rust removal As seen on TRUCKS...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    truth be told, if he had hit that bracket with a wire brush, it would have come out just as clean in 10 minutes rather then letting it soak overnight. It does look like a very cool way to clean old, rusty parts...but I am not a huge fan of putting electricity into water..

2. rc_rs_ss

rc_rs_ss Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Hey, use that cheap wax and grease remover from napa for your solution. Its alot faster

3. 79CamaroMan

79CamaroMan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 28, 2002
    Farmington Hills, MI
    You know, I should ask my dad about setting up a baking soda tank at the chrome shop. He already has everything needed since all the plating is electroplating (I know he has a few extra tanks laying around). And running electricity through liquid isnt that dangerous as long as it is set up properly. I've electroplated with copper cyanide solution and I'm just fine.:D
    BTW as far as I know the electrolisis will speed up the rust removal process significantly, not cause it in the first place.

4. PaRoadDawg

PaRoadDawg Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 10, 2002
    PA
    I've known about this for years, but never could find washing soda around here. So a little looking around the internet, sodium carbonate, aka soda ash, can also be found at pool supply places as pH up. So it should be a little easier to find that way.

5. YenkoJoe

YenkoJoe Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Richfield
    so wat is a good way to do your entire engine bay? cheap and good looking is wat i need

6. Go back and check out my engine bay makeover thread..I brought it back...Might help ya...

7. dui's Z

dui's Z Guest

So... What to do with the left over rusty water. I'm not that eviromentally savy. Just don't want to kill the neighbors or my own pets.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

But while that is sitting, I could be doing something else! :cool:

9. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you live in a urban environ,
    Sanitary sewer... dump it down the toilet. they have bugs at the treatment plant that will take care of it.

10. Pixels

Pixels Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Apple Valley, MN
    Wow, thats a great trick, thanks man, going to have to try it!