Non destructive rust removal As seen on TRUCKS...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, Feb 4, 2007.

1. A cool way to remove rust from parts...I'm going to try it on my headers...
    What you will need...
    Plastic tank to hold your part...
    A 12 volt battery charger capable of at least 2 amps of constant current...
    Sodium Carbonate...aka Arm & Hammer washing soda...

1 teaspoon of soda for every pint of water...
    Lay your part in the solution and hook up the negative lead to your part...(under water)
    Positive lead to a steel rod thats set in the solution...(rod sticks up out of the water so put your lead there)
    Now set your charger to a constant 2 amp service and let it go...
    You will start to see bubbles forming on the contact area and some smoke (vent well) this is hydrogen forming and out gassing into the solution...(no smoking)...
    A part the size of a control arm will take about 48 hours but smaller parts wont take as long...It will turn the part black and all of the rust will be gone...Inside and out...without harming any of the metal...
    Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to answer them...

Why is there only room for 2 threads?:(

2. rhead007

rhead007 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2000
    BOLINGBROOK ILL USA
    that was acually very cool im going to try it

4. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sweet!! Sounds like just the ticket for my headers:crazy: What happens if you use more current:rolleyes:? LOL!

5. Shoot! my first question and I cant answer it...lol...
    I dont know but I might try a test of two identical parts and double the current on one...A side by side test...

6. 70SSVROOM

70SSVROOM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 2004
    NorCal
  7. K5JMP

Just curious... I have a cheesy battery charger that will go 2 amps, but will prolly go into thermal shutdown. On the other hand... I have a ham radio supply that is built for 75amps continous duty. Voltage regulated, but not current.. LOL! Would prolly boil the soloution... might get finished quicker though;)

8. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    My landloard has done this for years. It's pretty cool actually. I thought about doing my headers, but I don't have a 55gal drum!

9. K5JMP

I was thinking of one of those plastic storage bins from the dollar store or something. The wife has a few that are huge..

10. Plastic...And yes those storage containers from walmart and dollar stores...