Non Climate controlled garage tips

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Blu-By-U 79Z, Jan 2, 2017.

1. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    FANS!!!

I have 2 big box fans running 24/7 in my heated garage just to move the air around

Blu-By-U 79Z likes this.
  2. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I have a 52 inch industrial ceiling fan on a reastat so I can speed it up or
    slow down as needed.

3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Wow thanks for the responses everyone. If you look in my build thread there are pictures of my booth as I call it. We framed up 2 walls and a ceiling. I have a home made concrete floor. I have issues with water coming under the wall during heavy rain. Ive been trying to The rest of the building is just gravel floor. The booth has one window in the back and then a pair of barn doors at the front. Then a walk through door in the right hand wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Keep air moving and see if you can find a way to keep temperature swings to a minimum. If the floor and or your tools gets cold and then the air warms up, the moisture in the air will condense on the cold floor and tools.(sweat)

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    If those are landscaping pavers you may be getting moisture thru each seam.

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    May also be getting moisture up through the floor. Was a vapor barrier put down before the floor was set? As others have said, moving air will be the cheapest. If the car is stored during the winter, those big zip up bags may work packed with desiccant. That may be expensive though.

7. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    there was no moisture barrier under the concrete. most of it was already there and the landscaping block was just a way to make a solid floor. Ill check into that more. Thanks guys! You guys rock!

8. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Milwaukee, Wi
    For winter storage, I put down a thick carpeting under the car for insulation. I also run a ceiling fan that is not directly over the car to keep air moving under the car. For tools you can put a heating pad in the bottom drawer of the toolbox. You don't have to run the fan and heater all of the time, just when the conditions are bad. A sheet of plastic under the carpeting might help too. If all else fails, you can run a window a/c for maximum moisture removal.

Blu-By-U 79Z likes this.
  9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    like everyone says....air flow.

One thing that drastically helped my garage, is that I sealed the floor, no moisture in my garage...ever.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Rain is diffeent than condensation. Can you do anything to mitigate water runoff while it is raining? Gutters, etc...