Non AC kick panels - question on the levers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JD Z, Nov 12, 2017.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

From my searching, the bottom lever controls the flap. What is the top lever controlling?

I am contemplating replacing the kick panels to install speakers. Heat is kind of important and I want to understand the control for heat that these levers have. For that matter is heat controlled at all from these levers or are they just for ventilation? What are the drawbacks for removing them?

2. Brown`77Z28

Brown`77Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    The top lever controls a flap that is mounted in the cowl and leads air to the square vent openings left and right.

Twisted_Metal likes this.
  3. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Good to know before I take things apart. Since I’ve had them in the closed position and didn’t know...even back in the 80’s I didn’t know and left them in the closed position. What would I miss if I left them in the closed position and replaced the kick panel to install a speaker?

I don’t know what I don’t know. Bad place to be and thanks for the support. I use windows and the t-tops on warm days.

4. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    I removed all the baffling and cut out the kick panels on my AC car. I now have 6x9 speakers in there and no AC.

5. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Nashville
    i like blown camera's take.

kick panels are basically useless imo,