No voltage to starter wire!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Thomasg, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Idaho
    Hey guys so I’ve been making great progress on my ‘75 Camaro but I had a trans leak. I pulled the header off and replaced the dipstick tube seal and when I put it all back I pinched the purple starter wire on the bell housing bolt I couldn’t get the car to start so I pulled the wire off and soldered on a new section of wire and bolted it up. It then started once and wouldn’t start again so I tested for voltage when turning the key and there was none then cut my new section off and there was no voltage at the old section. Could I have damaged my starter switch or something? All the dash lights and radio function well. Could it be an issue with one of the other wires on the starter? I have good battery voltage.

2. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    Is the car have a fusible link that toasted itself when it got pinched?

3. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Idaho
    It has a fusible link coming off the red wire to the starter, but I couldn’t find any damage to it

4. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Make sure the car is in park. Check for power at the purple wire at the neutral safety switch while turning the ignition switch to the start position. If no power there, work your way backwards and make sure all the hot leads to the ignition switch are good.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A quick easy test is just bypass the wire for a second and see what it does.

6. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Nashville
    agree with mr dragster. will also add, if you don't have voltage on your turn key then you can't turn the starter unless you jump it. were it me, i'd either run a jumper from start post of turn key to starter and a jumper from batt post of turn key to a known 12v source...or rig up a quick remote push button start just to confirm things. i'd say no voltage is your problem and you've maybe answered your own question as to the no start...

7. mrdragster1970

I was taught in the service when troubleshooting, bypass the circuit to make sure the load is still good.
    If good you keep splitting the circuit in 1/2 until you find a dead spot.

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  8. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Idaho
    Hey guys! Thanks for all the responses. I bypassed the wire and it started so I found some wiring diagrams on here and got busy. Turns out that under my dash the purple starter wire was just wrapped around a bare section of a purple with white strip wire. Kinda makes me nervous about what else I might find under the dash. But it had wiggles lose so now I’ve got a push button starter wired up and will eventually get the original wiring sorting out. Thanks for your help

Rdobbs1977 likes this.
  9. mrdragster1970

Be careful you don't start a fire or start the thing in gear.