No more GM-Holden

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by ozchevy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ozchevy

ozchevy Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Hi guys,
    Well news down-under is our very own car maker Holden is set to close it's doors by 2016. Quite simply, the Government is not prepared to keep propping up the ailing car maker any longer. I have to agree - sad as it maybe, Ford are out of the game also, with Toyota set to follow as well. The impact will be huge to businesses right around Australia who manufacture parts and accessories.

Basically Unions have gone to far here. The never ending blowouts with wages and conditions have caused car makers here to not making a good return. GM America wanted to pull the pin years ago on Holden, but the Government input kept things alive.

GM-H cant make a profit, not through a lack of sales, it's high labour costs plain and simple. Imports will be the order of the day, hopefully we will see more Chevrolets in Right hand drive format straight from GM, and at much better cost than has been in the past.

People here do import cars from America privately, have the steering and dash converted over, and it costs anything from 10-20k just for that part of the process. It's not unusual to find a 2010 or 2011 Camaro for 100k Australian dollars.
    Wish my 79Z would be worth that kind of money one day.

So guys - what's your thoughts on the exports of Chevrolets in the coming years down-under, do you think GM will consider making and sending cars in right hand drive here, would the market be worthwhile in the long run???

2. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    EVERYTIME SOME BODY GOES OUT OF BUSNESS that has a Union the Unions gets the blame. bull , there is to meny other factor , mosty greed

3. ozchevy

ozchevy Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Yes agree - Unions have a place in industry, but when auto assembly workers here in Australia are earning $120,000 upward per year -something has to give way.

4. dcart1

dcart1 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2009
    springfield,ohio
    Wonder what Chevy is going to do about the new Chevy SS (used to be a Pontiac) that is from there?

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I worked for GM and GM always gets it's money first . Union busting plain and simple . I'm quite sure Holman salary employees will pull bonuses regardless of what goes on with the hourly employees . I worked on a gm line , it's not fun !!