No 12v power to the 3amp fuse marked inst panel LPS in fuse block.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by haroldpo6, Apr 11, 2017.

1. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    Does the power come from the headlight switch? My running, parking, tag, tail lights are not working.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Yes... It is powered through the headlight switch.
    No power there until the headlight switch is pulled to either the parking light or headlight position.

3. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
  4. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    After installing a new switch, still no power to fuse. Here's what I have. I have 12v to the red wire at all times. The only 12v power I have on the switch when pulled is to blue wire for the headlights. . No other terminal has 12v in the parking or headlight position. Dk green goes to dash lights, brown wire goes to parking lights , side markers, license plate, no power. If I try to jump from the red wire to say the green or brown, I have a dead short? I can jump from the blue wire to the brown wire and the parking lights work when the switch is in the headlight position. Headlight%20Switch%201.jpg

5. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    All working now. What I found is if the stop light fuse in the fuse block is blown you will have no power to the inst panel fuse. After pulling all the fuses I found the stop light fuse was not making connect.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Glad you found it!

A real quick way to check for blown fuses is to use a 12V lighted probe.
    Ground it to the dash frame and touch the end of each fuse in the fuse block with the probe.
    If the probe lights on one side of the fuse and not the other... Blown fuse!
    It only takes a minute to check them all this way and you don't risk breaking a good fuse while prying it the out of the holder.

And.... You need to turn the headlights to test the little fuse with the probe.