Nitto or Mickey Thompson?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Da_Raabi, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yeah wheels are not in the cards right now. Looks like I'll be going with the 255/60 Mickey Thompsons. That should work good.

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Thanks for the help everyone!

muscl car likes this.
  3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My bald 275's with 1/32nd tread showing 0128181218.jpg

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Lowend, just to be sure, I took some pictures of my current setup with the 275/60s. So this is too wide? I just want to be sure because I really like the look and stance of this setup, but if the performance is going to suffer then its not worth it I guess. Thanks!

tire_1.jpg
    tire_2.jpg
    tire_3.jpg

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I take no joy in telling you this, but yes it's too big for the wheel.
    See how car out the tire is ballooning beyond the bead? That entire section of tread is basically unsupported. That's occurring equally on both sides of the wheel.

My own opinions aside
    BFG recommends that tire have a 7.5" - 9.5" wheel to work properly (with their measurements being taken on an 8" wheel). You've got it on a 7" wheel, you're out of spec and that's unsafe.
    Think of it this way, if you were looking at brake pads, and one was 1/2" too low, would you drive the car?

Now someone is bound to chime in that 'truck tires are fine with a 275 on a 7" wheel' Yes, they are, I know because it's in the factory recommended specs. Truck tires are constructed completely differently than car tires with a different usage in the design.

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Interesting. I had seen it mentioned elsewhere that *I think* the Chevy 1500 454SS came with 275s on a 7 inch wheel, but are you saying they were LT rated, and that's why it worked? If so that's an interesting piece of tire tech I did not know.

Since my ultimate goal here is to get decent traction with the big ol 454 up front, I'm guessing the 255 will have to do. Maybe down the road when I get some Cragar Soft 8s I'll do something a bit wider. For now this will do though.

Thanks for the tech info!

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    get the 275's you'll be fine then down the road get 8" wheels and swap them out...............

muscl car and Blown Camaro like this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Except the 275's are unsafe on a 7" wheel

9. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Lowend I’ll just quote your signature “ “

I’m only 41 you may have more experience then me not sure. People have been doing this for a long time and have never heard anyone killed or injured from a 275 on a 7” wheel but again what do I know and please don’t copy and paste links from tire/wheel manufacturers those recommendations are for the 0.01% of the population ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    muscl car and Blown Camaro like this.
  10. Lowend

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    So let me get this straight:
    The fact that you personally have never heard of someone being injured by running the wrong size tire on a wheel outweighs the knowledge of the engineering staff of the multinational tire company that designed the tire?

... just making sure I have this right