Nitto or Mickey Thompson?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Da_Raabi, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    So I'm looking at new tires for the back of the car. I'm looking for tires that will help get me more traction when I punch it. Right now the 454/3.73s are tearing the tires up at part throttle - and that's before I've done any performance mods!

So I've got 3rd gen Z28 wheels. 15s. This obviously limits my choices significantly. I've got some old BFG Radial T/As on them right now at 275/60R15 and they fit - barely. I figure I'll keep that size and I've narrowed it down to two options, one from Nitto and one from Mickey Thompson.

And yes I plan to do some fun-time drag racing. Nothing serious.

Which would you guys recommend? The Nittos are noticeably cheaper, but the M/Ts seem like a better tire. Thoughts?

Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S Tires 90000024554
    Price: $209.50, free shipping
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3453
    [​IMG]

Nitto NT 555 R Tires N180-300
    Price: $157.00 plus shipping
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nit-180300
    [​IMG]

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Go for the Mickey's, IMO!
    I haven't looked at them in a quite a while but, I loved their slogan at the time. They showed a picture of one of their tire's sidewall being twisted by the torque at take off and written at the bottom it said, "We didn't think you'd mind working out a few wrinkles!"

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mickey Thompson but have you looked at their ET Street R series ???

I'm running their old 275/6015 ET Street Drag Radials but I've worn them down to nothing and going to go with their 28x11.50 15 Bias Ply ET Street R series

This is their old style Drag Radials ..

1019171415.jpg

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Hoo boy those look like fun on the street. I don't think I need something quite so race oriented. I was looking at tires a bit more street friendly. Maybe their S/R series.

muscl car likes this.
  6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    IMHO - I have the Nitto 555's and MT 10.5 drag slicks, wheels for both, and there is no middle ground for going around corners fast, taking off fast, or longevity on the street. I can light up the Nitto's on the street but they do perform pretty well. The MT will give better straight line performance but don't even think about driving in the rain or expect any life time, and Nitto 555 is not know for wet road performance or tread wear. If you're going to stick with the 3rd gen factory wheels, you're severely limited in tire options.

Some people who give opinions about drag oriented tires on the street also rent little cars for Dr. appointments.

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Nittos for a street car that may see rain. Mickeys for the best hooking radial. I've gone 1.42 60' on them after driving to the track on them. That was on my GN, Camaro is on bias plys. You can blaze nittos on the street with even a 12 second car. Mickeys bite much better but don't think about driving on wet roads as stated above.

muscl car likes this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    The tire you are running is WAY to wide for that wheel (15x7") You should be running a MAX of 255/60/15 on a 7" wheel. The sidewall isn't properly supported and that's probably a lot of the reason you are having issues

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Oh... Really? Man that sucks. The 275/60s that are on it now don't look so bad but I would not be surprised if they are too wide. They do look kinda "pooched". Looking at Summit, it looks like my only options are now just the M/T S/S and ET Street that muscl car mentioned.

Since the ET Street looks a bit too slick for me, I think the M/T S/S in 255/60 would work.

That sucks though. I like the fat but stance I get with the 275s.

10. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Lowend is my "go to" tire and wheel guy. He knows them all. Sounds like you might want to think about wheels first, then tires.