Newer "Lift" Shifter Knob on Ebay For Sale

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by dadgonebroke, Feb 21, 2018.

1. dadgonebroke

dadgonebroke Veteran Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Kansas
  2. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    Thanks for posting this - I'm glad I looked in the "questions" section today. I happen to be looking for an original knob for my '73 and even though this looks to be in decent shape, I still have a hard time paying $100 for a knob.

3. dadgonebroke

Jul 1, 2008
    Kansas
    I don't think this is a correct knob for '73.

4. dadgonebroke

Jul 1, 2008
    Kansas
    1973 Z28 Sift knob.jpg This is the correct one you're looking for. Close but no cigar on the one on Ebay.

5. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    I think it is. The ad states "...GM PART NO. 357703". The box in your photo has that number hand-written on it. Anyway I appreciate your reply. If I can get the original knob for around $75 or so, I'd do it, but for now I can live with my $20 white knob. The funny thing is, it's not that I'm a purist but I bought a '73 RS right out of high school and I loved the shifter as well as the knob. A lot of people tell me to go with the Hurst Comp. Plus but I love the feel of the stock shifter; it's got that compound angle that gives your right arm a perfect position, I feel.
    Thanks again.
    DSCN4085.JPG

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    That knob on eBay looks like the knob that was on my new Z28’s I ordered. 77, 78 and 80.

7. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    Dadgonebroke: you know, on second thought, I do believe you're correct. I think the e-bay ad has the wrong GM part number listed. Or it could be they changed the profile a tad in later years. If I look at a side view (profile?) of the correct knob, it does look a little different than the photo I see in the ad.
    Good catch. I love this site; I'd be lost in my restoration w/o it.

8. dadgonebroke

Jul 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Yes- it's a bit different but still kinda close. Chances of tripping across a correct 6262264 are pretty slim!

9. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    IF anyone has one of these - is the parting line for the mold down the sides or is it at the high ridge around the circumference 2/3 from the base where it meets the shifter handle?

These would be fairly easy to make - take a 2 piece rigid epoxy mold - make them using a 2 part resin degassed then either make a resin injection system which pulls a vacuum then injects the resin or just inject the resin under pressure with a sprue at the far end. There can't be more than maybe 2-3 fl oz of material there...

To determine the approx fl oz required -
    Fill glass Quart measuring pyrex half full, submerge the handle and note the change, that gives a rough estimate of the displacement.
    There is probably $20 materials in each knob, maybe $10 if bought in gallons.

FWIW having something injection molded is not too expensive either - if there were a few hundred people wanting 73 shift knobs at maybe $25-30 each there is a good possibility of short running it.

Buddy of mine had the correct screw caps for a 69 Camaro RS wiper bottle reproduced - cost him about $800, out the door done for 1000 caps. he took them an original they made the molds and injection molded them, these are the caps which went on a 3/8 headed grounding sheet metal screw used to mount the bottle to the stand beside the battery on a 69 RS Camaro. - the caps were impossible to find and were approx $60-100 for a set of 3 originals.

10. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    You know, that thought crossed my mind. I have a friend who owns a plastic injection mold shop and I was kicking around the thought of him making the mold and running a few hundred knobs. Like you say, if I can sell enough of them to cover my costs it would be worth it. I think we could produce knobs that look like the original and maybe even get Summit, NPD, et al to carry them. I know I'd pay $50 for an after market if it was identical to the original.