New Years is a time for reflection

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Dec 31, 2017.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I'll need to throw a dissenting vote in.

Facebook is good for several things...number one is keeping up with a large family. It is impossible to know the day-to-day life of your entire family otherwise, sans telephone and visits.

Selling things. Their new marketplace is free for personal use and gets results...It is even better than Craigslist. You can see the person you are dealing with.

It is terrible for politics unless you are on the same side, then it is an ego booster. Yup, I lost several supposed friends who insulted me about my belief system. I think I have a few more to prune off.

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I don't use Facebook and never did. I just have no interest in it. Apparently a lot of people do have that interest and use it a lot. However, I don't agree with this addiction thing. If you feel you have a problem of using it too much, simply stop. It isn't an addiction. It is a choice. Some people choose to use it and some choose to not use it.

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    See profile

But seriously, I don't give two flying spaghetti monsters what my friends or family are doing every moment of every day. I'm not on any of the post forum era social medias because I like my privacy. I've had the same phone number for 18 years, email for 21 and my parents mailing address for 30+. My real friends can get in touch when they want and I with them. No need to share my last bowel movement or semi appetizing thing I ate. Oh, when I do see people I haven't seen in a while, we have things to talk about. It's fantastic.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I am certainly grateful that we are not all alike...

MrAzzhat2U likes this.
  5. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I'm not on Farsebook. Wife is, but she doesn't post any personal stuff. She's mainly a reader.

6. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    Anyone read Dave Barry's 2017 Year in Review? I particularly liked these,

"Facebook announces that it has reached a total of two billion users, who in 2017 alone have already posted a total of 17 trillion impassioned statements of their political views, which have changed a total of zero minds."

"In a related development, Facebook executives, testifying before a subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee, confirm that at least 60 percent of the people you friended because you thought they went to high school with you are in fact Russians."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article192007484.html#storylink=cpy

7. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use FB to promote the funny car and keep and make relationships,something that wouldn't be possible without.

And of course I post funny stuff from there here for your amusement, if anyone has a problem with that,I suggest you get a life. ;)

MrAzzhat2U, Smokey15 and FlaJunkie like this.
  8. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    New Boston, NH
    This is a rehash of an old thread. I'll say the same thing. It is useful if it works for you but like anything else is easily abused. I ignore a lot of threads on here for the same reason. I have 6 daughters and 9 grandkids, one more on the way and it is a great way to see their achievements. Due to geography I don't get to see them as much as possible and each of my kids is not going to text each of us with every picture.
    So, I mostly ignore the posts and skim through, but I am sure to stop at every picture of my grandkids!
    Happy New Year

MrAzzhat2U, Smokey15 and FlaJunkie like this.
  9. MrAzzhat2U

MrAzzhat2U Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Lewes DE
    This ^^^^^^
    It's very easy to filter out the BS. If you don't like it then you don't have to keep it on your feed,simple as that.

As a Vietnam veteran,I belong to a few "Closed" groups as a way of staying in touch with my brothers from another mother and for updates on reunions and the like.

It's all in what you make of it. Do you remember "Special Projects "? Enough said!

Dave Nelson likes this.