New VHX gauges reading hotter than engine temp Ls1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Crazy4camaro, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    Today I put a new set of Dakota Digital VHX gauges in my camaro. I put all the setting
    in, all gauges work including the temp. It reads hotter than the engine temp. This engine came out of a 2000 corvette, the thermostat opens at 210, at this point the temp gauge will read 240 to 260. Any help ps. All grounds are good, even ran a ground to the controller from the
    Neg side of the batt to double check.
    vhx.JPG

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    You say the thermostat opens at 210. How did you verify that?
    Have you checked the engine temp /w a laser thermometer? (Preferably one that you've double checked w/ other thermometers and you're reasonably sure of it's accuracy.)
    I just put a set of DD gauges in my 81 Z28 and I checked the temp gauge w/ my laser. It was close enough.
    If the laser says you're running about 210, I'd call DD, explain the situation and ask for a new temp sensor.
    You may want to check the new sensor w/ a pan of hot water before actually putting it into the engine.

3. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Just a thought since I havent used these guages but do they need to be calibrated? Some of the new digital guages have a calibration function, not sure if that applies here. It comes to mind because we realized my voltage guage was off .6 volts yesterday because we forgot to calibrate it upon intsall.

4. Crazy4camaro

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    20171021_184709.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  5. Crazy4camaro

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    Dakota Dash reply///

Hi,

If temp is reading high that means that the tip of the sender is not all the way in the coolant. Purge all air out of system and refill coolant.

Best regards

Brian Moe

Dakota Digital, Inc.

4510 W. 61st St. North

Sioux Falls, SD 57107

Technical Support

BrianM@dakotadigital.com

877-269-3346

6. Crazy4camaro

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    After reading the email from DD, I pulled the temp sender from the pass side rear of the head (see pic below) After I relize the head was dry I put another gallon of water in a already full radiator. I left the sender out until water started coming out. I feel like a dummy but the radiator was full within a inch from the top. Lesson learned....... 20171107_072952.jpg

7. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    When I fill my 2002 z28, have to pull the throttle body coolant line to purge the air. I don't know how yours is set up, but there should be a spot near the front of the engine where the purge lines come together and go back to the radiator. This isn't the best picture, but you can see the steel line (about 3/8 inch) coming from the passenger head heading under the throttle body, and the line from the throttle body to the radiator.

Attached Files:

• ls1.jpg
      ls1.jpg
      File size:
      70.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Crazy4camaro

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    I know the line your talking about, ive heard it called a steam hose. I purchased a new Griffin radiator yesterday with the place in it for this hose.It also comes with fans an relays.