New to PA - Antique plates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by Schubitzky, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
    I'll be moving to PA soon and I'm concerned about the antique/collector plates. My car is over 25 years old so it should qualify for antique tags which doesn't require a yearly inspection, however it has been modified significantly from original, which apparently makes it not qualify. The only category that talks about cars that have been modified is collector plates. But it says the car would be subject to yearly safety inspections and the car must be in show quality condition, which my car is not.

I will have to do the initial safety inspection to get the tags and a PA title, but how strict are the inspection stations on "not significantly modified from original"? Would they pass me as antique with EFI, big wheels, 6 speed, and big brakes? I'm really wanting to avoid a yearly safety inspection.

In MD I have Street Rod tags which exempt me from every kind of inspection and there's no restrictions on modifications as long as its street legal.

2. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    what part of PA are you moving to?

3. Schubitzky

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
  4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    They didn't ask me anything for antique plates. No pictures, nothing. They just took the title, and "branded" it with an "A" for antique and odometer mileage is exempt. So I would imagine they just go by year. As you know, no inspection with antique plate.

5. Schubitzky

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
    I hope that's the case. I'm afraid they'll have to look at the car to issue me the title since I have a MD title.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Talked to a friend who does enhanced inspection, and he said he doesn't know how picky they get out that way, but he said take a legible picture through the windshield of the VIN tag with you, along with your Md. title just in case.

7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    PennDot will NOT want to see the car

pay the fees (at a notary) to rebrand the title (A for antique)

the new license plate takes about 6 weeks to arrive

then no inspection/registration ever again

I did this last year with my 69 Ford, and it wasn't even close to stock
    DSC07593.JPG

8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    also the title of my 69 was previously an Ohio title....didn't matter

9. Schubitzky

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
    good to hear. I'll take my MD title and a picture of the VIN plate and hopefully they'll give me a title.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Yeah, I forgot, my Camaro was a California title.