New to body work

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by act2089, Jun 3, 2018.

1. act2089

act2089 New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I just bought a 79 camaro and have come to realize that most of the rear quarters are bondo not much metal. I'm planning on replacing both rear quarters and the complete floor pan. My question is, I want to strip this car down and see what other problems in the metal maybe hiding, but I don't want to strip it down to bare metal and cause more rust. This is going to be a long term project and not something I do in a month or even 6 months. So I need to know how I can find problem areas, fix them, and not cause more rust in the process? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    We just do what we can time and money wise,.And or have friends help us ,

3. Jon balch

Jon balch Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Upstate NY
    What I did is fix one area at a time and hit it with some spray can primer. I sanded it off at the end of the bodywork and applied etching or wash primer and went from there. It held off surface rust til I was ready. Hope this helps

4. act2089

act2089 New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Jon that is pretty much what i was hoping to do, I figured if I did everything i know about, buy everything and try to do it all in a couple of days. Then spray that with spray can primer. Then just kind of strip other parts as I go or need to and spray when the area is done. just wanted to see if there was a better way, at least for the rust prevention part.

5. Jon balch

Jon balch Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I also used a 1k wash primer made by azkol Nobel. You can spray it right out the can. It’s made for the sign industry, but doesn’t know the difference between a sign and your car lol. Dries in 15 min. We use it all the time at my work. Not sure how easy it is to get though.

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Put it up on stands or ramps, soak the underside in degreaser and give it a really thorough pressure wash or even better steam clean. If there's a lot of old bitumen underseal left behind hit it with oven cleaner before another round of pressure washing. Once it's dried off grab your creeper, worklights, torch and a big screwdriver and inspect the underside thoroughly, prodding at anything that looks suspicious.

Replacement floorpans and rear quarters are going to set you back around $1900. Your front fenders will need repair or replacement unless they've already been done. If the rear quarters are really bad, trunk drop offs and rear wheelhouses most likely need repair or replacement too. That adds up to over $2500 in sheetmetal alone, over $3000 if your trunk floor is gone too, so look carefully. Unless the car has sentimental value you may want to think about finding another project and using this one as a parts car.

If you decide to keep going, tear it down to a bare shell and get the main body/cab media-blasted and primed in epoxy, this will give a clean, stable foundation that won't rust and can be touched up as repairs are completed. It will also expose any hidden sins you didn't already know about so last chance to decide whether you're committed to using this body or cutting your losses and moving on.

When you go to replace rusted out areas, do not make the all to common mistake of hacking away everything that's going to be replaced before driving yourself nuts trying to align aftermarket sheetmetal. Fit &trim, fit & trim, fit & trim, one piece at a time using sheetmetal screws and clamps to temporarily locate things.

Allow x3 as long and x2 as much money as you think it's going to cost.

Canadian Barton likes this.
  7. act2089

act2089 New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Thank you, I have a complete floorboard including toe board prices at 950, and rear quarters at 300 For both, plus I'll need everything that attaches to the floor pan like the leaf spring boots and seat mounts, front fenders look good and front wheel wells, seems like all the rust is in the back, it's gonna be a project but I figure 5 years and $25- $30k, that's why I'm trying to get the advice now before the money starts flowing

8. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Is that $300 for quarter skins or full panels? (That’s a really sharp price for full quarters) I used skins/partial quarters on mine but would definitely recommend going with the full quarters if you have the choice.

9. act2089

act2089 New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I apologize I meant $300 each it's actually like $290 and inner quarters are around $90 Just figured start with all new metal. However having never taken this apart of welded in New ones I'm a little nervous about the task, but I do appreciate all of your guys advice and I plan to use it

10. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    Watch PLENTY videos on you tube on the panel replacement!
    make a plan.
    Start small first. small accomplishments make you feel courageous.
    I am doing the same work.(nervous panel replacement thread)