New "shop"

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 69TAPoser, Nov 22, 2012.

1. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    Thanks, the top front is air intake (not put together yet) and the rear corners are air exit. It is a semi-downdraft booth. The back will get pocket filters to catch the media.

There are 10 4-bulb light fixtures that go in the large rectangular holes that will be covered with clear vinyl for protection.

We change media depending what we are cleaning, ranging from fine coal slag, to fine glass, to plastic. We use a clemco 600 lb pressure pot.

Phil

2. x.system

x.system Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Muir MI
    I would do a cross draft, have a pusher fan at the front and 2 pull fans at the rear. I've got a 4' pusher fan that pushes shop air in and one 2' pull fan at the rear that takes the dust outdoors and dumps into a water barrel. I blast with the pusher fan to my back or side and the dust is blown right by and in hot weather it keeps you somewhat cool in the blast suit. I tried it with just a pull fan and the overhead door raised a couple inches and the room was always filled with dust, the pusher fan made a great improvement and you can actually see what your blasting.

3. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    The only difference in the cross vs down draft is the air intake. I think I would rather have it come from the top (down draft) as this places our air intake filters in the ceiling and out of the way of blasting. The flow is still across the booth and to the back corners, then up and out. The fan is massive and designed for the unit. It is a 34' fan, with a 3 hp Dayton motor that pushes 12,200 cfm. we will have it up and running in a few weeks, I will let you know how it works.

Phil

4. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    More progress...

Booth all lit up:

[​IMG]

Media cabinet up and running:

[​IMG]

Compressor all hooked up:

[​IMG]

Pressure pot:
    [​IMG]

Shop entrance:
    [​IMG]

Phil

5. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Lookin really good.

6. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    Nice that's some serious equipment ! Looking good Phil, how's it going?

7. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    Hi Wayne-

Things are going well, thanks for asking. We have been pretty busy, so we are off to a good start. We are still finishing up the build-out, but we have been operational for a few weeks.

Here are some pics from a few weeks ago...

Our showroom before we put stuff in it:

[​IMG]

Some 18" alum. wheels we blasted:
    [​IMG]

An '82 CJ7 that is now all blasted:
    [​IMG]

We have been using crushed glass predominantly and have been very happy with it. It leaves a great profile on panels and does not warp. We were surprised that it even removed the undercoating on the Jeep body.

Phil

8. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Looks great. Nice progress on the shop. The two blasted rims look like a double hose reel.

9. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Wow!!! I wish you were nearby, I'd send you some business!!

10. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    I noticed the progress on the Camaro came to a sudden halt. I wonder if there is a big surprise coming up. Or if you just have been to busy to work on it.