New "shop"

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 69TAPoser, Nov 22, 2012.

1. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    It' been in the works for quite some time and I thought I'd share it with you guys. My wife and I have been media blasting in our 2-car garage for about a year and a half, but it is time to expand. Here are some pics of our new build out in progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...It's just over 3300 sq ft. We will have a 16'x23' blast booth (to blast full cars/trucks/frames), a 5' x 3' cabinet for doing parts, and a 20' x 20' showroom featuring Eastwood finishing products. We plan to open in mid-December but we have a LOT of build out to do between now and then. We already expanded the 10x20 office into the 20x20 showroom and we are setting up the booth this weekend.

The plan is for lots of commercial floor tile (large checkers) as well as a 15x20 customer lounge area where people can stop by and talk cars for a bit. There is a page of pics here: http://www.classicpartsblasting.com/our-facilty.html and I can post pics here as we progress if you guys are interested.

Phil

2. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Harrisburg, Pa
    WOW!! very impressive!

3. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Congratulations on your expansion. It looks like you are going in the right direction and will do just fine. Setting up your display at the shows and swap meets is probably one of the best ways to advertise because there are always people there that need something blasted. It is great to see your wife so involved in everything, plus guys are always more eager to talk to a pretty lady at a show versus a guy and yes, we are interested in seeing the pics as things progress.

4. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Very nice, Congrats and Good Luck!:cool:

5. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    SWEET! Good for you Phil, great news. Glad to see things going so well on your new shop. I'll be watching for new progress.

6. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
  7. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    Thanks guys, we have much more progress, but I haven't taken any new pics yet. :crazy:

We started erecting the blast booth (a converted auto paint booth) on Monday and we should have it completed by the end of the week. We have HVAC coming in today to help with the ventilation of the huge booth fan (12,200 cfm).

The electricians have been busy and the electrical for our new showroom area is done, now they are working on exit signs/safety lighting, etc. They will start wiring the compressor and other equip. this weekend. We plan on doing final sheetrock and mud next week along with the piping for all of the air lines. Commercial vinyl floor tile shows up today, but we probably won't get to that until the week after next. Our new 5'x3' blast cabinet (for doing parts) and dust collector showed up Tuesday.

We actually plan to start shooting cars in mid-December (fingers crossed!). :happy:

Phil

8. x.system

x.system Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Muir MI
    Nice setup, I also do blasting, painting, welding and now powder. Just curious to why you choose Eastwood products. I had a customer that brought in some epoxy and chassis paint from them so I used it but never again. As far as I'm concerned there are much better products out there for the same or better cost. I have a paint rep that comes to my shop once a week to make orders or I just call in what I need and its there within an hour.

Not sure if you prime/ paint as well but if you don't I would get set up for it, it pays better. I've been using PPG Durathane DTM (direct to metal) for commercial applications. It was designed to go over blasted metal, covers in 2 coats and no primer needed. Its almost as strong as powder.

9. 69TAPoser

69TAPoser Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Windham, NH
    Hi X - We chose Eastwood after ussing their products for years, their selection of products specific to the restoration industry and their marker awareness. We cater to the "do-it-yourselfer" so we don't apply any coatings ourselves, we do blasting only + the retail (Eastwood).

We have lots of cleaning to do, but here is the current state of the shop after another week of work:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phil

10. x.system

x.system Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Muir MI
    Looking good, looks like your going to have a lot of light in that booth. What type of blaster setup are you running and what media do you use?