New shop options?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by CB-Man, Mar 5, 2013.

1. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    I am thinking I might get a quote on a pole barn built to be finished with eave vents and ridge vent.
    Also with trusses 2ft on center built for a ceiling.
    Then pour a slab. I'm sure that option would come in way cheaper than a stick built garage.
    Even with a pole barn style garage I could go with a shingled roof to reduce sweating and moisture.

2. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I would get a quote for having someone reinforce your trusses, and add your vents, and put on the addition you talked about. That would still be way cheaper than a new pole barn. But if you can make the new barn happen, it would be awesome to have the other one for storage.

3. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    What would reinforcing the trusses entail? Something I could do on my own?
    I was thinking about hanging that 1.5 in foil backed foam board for a ceiling. My friend has it up in his garage with a wood burner and it stays pretty warm.
    That is a good idea. I could save some money by just adding on to the existing barn.
    Then someone could professional install gable vents.
    I was looking at the barn the other day and it has some what of an eave vent sofit. If you look at the pictures on the eave side just under the roof there is white trim or flashing. There is an opening at the bottom of that where air comes in and is open to the inside of the barn

4. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    If you are going to hang the 1.5" foam, then you would not need to reinforce the trusses, 4 ft on center is fine, and the 1.5" is stiff enough that it can span the 4' and not sag.

5. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    Some say the foam board is bad because its not up to code and flammable but it will only be on the ceiling. If I have flames that big I'm in trouble already.
    I know the foam won't give me the best insulation but it will save money.
    I am thinking of putting in a pellet stove and possibly one or two electric heaters. I'd like to keep it around 45 degrees during the winter and kick it up when I'm working.
    With the eave venting I think I should be ok just adding a ridge vent.

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I would have to check, but I thought if you got the foil faced foam, it would meet code for fire rating. I do know a lot of people that install just the pink foam on their ceilings though. Most of them install a heavy plastic first.

7. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    Well in trying to save money I forgot the reason I had concrete put in the pole barn in the first place. I just wanted dry storage for my equipment so the moisture from the ground wouldn't make it rust faster. So I think it's back to seeing if I can get a barn built.
    Got a quote for a 36x50 trusses 2 ft on center for ceiling load
    With 12in overhangs eave soffit venting and ridge venting.
    Two 9x10 over head doors one man door and 4 windows.
    $19,800
    That's with metal roof.
    If I am building new should I go shingles?
    Also thought about going pole building but sided and shingles to match the house.

8. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    What all was included in the $19,800? As far as the roof goes, I would probably go metal, since it looks like you have a decent amount of property, and your other barn has a metal roof. A metal roof will last longer, and will reflect a lot more of the sun, keeping your barn cooler in the summer. I went with a shingled roof on mine, since it is so close to the house, and we thought it would look a little less like a barn, and more like a garage. I already had to get a variance from the township to be able to build it 32x50, so I wanted it to "blend in" a little more.

9. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    Your garage is coming along nice!!
    I really need to get my truck paid off before I go asking for a garage loan.
    I was really looking forward to just finishing the existing pole barn.
    But I really don't want all my other stuff in it.
    Boat, two 4 wheelers mower tiller....
    I thought about restoring the old wooden barn that is stick built on a foundation.
    But the corner 2x4's are pretty rotten. I'm not sure it would be worth trying to pry them out and replace them. Then it needs new roof and siding.
    But if I did do that I could keep my tractor there and build a lean to of the side for the boat.
    Right now I'm just to indecisive on what to do.
    I don't want to waste time and money on the barn I just put concrete in them 5 months late decide to build a new barn.
    But I would love to save money and just use what I have.
    Just really need a place for my boat and tractor and other stuff.
    The wood barn is 18x22. I could restore it and concrete it.

Here's my e-mail to the builder

I am looking to build a shop and would like a quote.
    I am wanting a 36x50 pole building 12' height. Trusses 2' on center for ceiling.
    12" over hang all the way around with eave and ridge vents.
    Two 9x10 over head doors
    One 36" walk thru door
    4 standard opening windows.
    All that for $19800

10. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    Windows?

Just a quick question on windows. I have been getting quotes for barns/garages with 4 windows.
    I was thinking about scratching the windows out of the quotes to save money. It's just a shop and will be well lit. Also no windows is more wall space for shelving.
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on windows or no windows when building a garage