New Shop/Garage in the works also!!

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by sponge003, Nov 18, 2010.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Why OSB vs sheetrock?

At least around here, sheetrock is less expensive per square foot than OSB.

And sheetrock accepts paint a lot better than OSB does.

It's also not flammable, like OSB is.

Just a thought...

2. leafs_11

leafs_11 BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    sheetrock gets my vote!!!
    paint it bright white and its way brighter in there.
    osb is half the money and less work though
    just make sure you insulate good and use super 6 vapour barrier and redtape all plastic joints.

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good! Glad it made ya laugh. It seems I have found my way into many siggys here at Nasty and it makes me feel at home and amongst friends.
    (thanks for due credit bro ;))

You might prefer the durability of OSB for the interior walls but the Sheetrock would look cleaner. I think it goes without saying whichever way ya go you will want to insulate and use a good moisture barrier like leafs suggests.
    Painted white and it will be plenty bright.

4. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC

I also like the idea of with OSB it is easier to mount things to the wall and a little more durable than sheetrock. Plus I cant mud at all, dont have the patient...

R-13 in the walls and going R-30 in the ceiling, the entire shop was housewrapped so I feel the moisture barrier is good.

White on walls and ceilings with some other colors near floor to hide some of the dirt. Toying with the idea of doing a black white checkered flag thing on the exposed cinder block portion.

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I don't like muddin' either. I didn't even try to do a professional job - it's a garage. Covered all the screws and didn't bother taping at all. Gave the joints a once over lightly with no tape. After painting - if I noticed any gaps - that's what they make white caulk for...:bowtie:

I did use FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) plywood (known as dairy board around here) for the first 4 feet. That way I can get the hose out and have at it when I need to without worrying about the sheetrock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a picture it looks great. When you walk in - it looks fine. If you get close up, you can tell it's not perfect. I still think it looks better than painted OSB that will have even more noticeable joints.

And at least in my area - sheetrock is cheaper than OSB (.5" sheetrock vs. .5" OSB). For the ceiling I did use 5/8" rock - which is more expensive though.

6. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Update finally moved in!!

Well finally got all the OSB up and painted the inside, 95 sheets of OSB. Moved in this weekend and it was amazing how much crap I had in the 2 car garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just have to organize and put up the wall cabinets. And get the Z28 back together and to the track.

7. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

good to see ya moving in to the new space! I like the lighting around the perimeter. 95 sheets of OSB? :eek:

post up pics when ya get all the cabinets and details done.

8. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. tferg51

tferg51 Veteran Member

May 10, 2011
    New Waverly, Texas
    I can only dream about a garage like that.

10. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Just went back through the whole thread. Mark was right. For the same reason. lol