New phones...which do you prefer

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Mar 4, 2018.

iPhones or Samsung S series

1. Iphone

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. S series

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    What app is that? i use my phone as a speedo for both my cars since they are off with trans/gear changes.

I bought a cheap bore scope off ebay that might be better than sticking your phone in a furnace. Wifi and all. Pretty cool. Takes suprisingly good pictures.

I like the things i can do with my phone. Control lights, thermostats, look at my security cams, etc. probably either phone would work for me, but work provides my phone.

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Hello Moto...
    G5 plus. About $200. Unlocked. I use T-mobile, $40 a month. Great smartphone!

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Sprint has a spider web network - designed to cover major cities and high traveled highways. In some areas - they have excellent service. When you get into rural areas - their service is very unreliable.

I live in a rural area - but about 5 miles off I90 and about 5 miles from US 63. Sprint is very sketchy service near me.

Go to this link - https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp? Type in Spring Valley, MN (biggest town near me). Click on the "Legend" button on the upper right - so you can see what the colors mean.

As you can see from the map (data is the default map) - sprint has no 4GLTE service of any kind in that area. They have very limited extended NON LTE service and then roaming data service available for the most part. If you click on the "Voice" button - you will see that they only have limited available extended voice coverage and mostly roaming service available.

If you go to the "+ and -" buttons on the upper left side of the map and click the "-" sign 5 times - you will see that you can literally travel 100's of miles with very sketchy voice service on many major US highways (US 52 and 63). You will also see their spiderweb that runs along I35, I90 and I94.

Now click back to "data" and you will see that even along the same Interstates where they have "excellent" voice service - they have extremely limited 4G LTE Plus service and in some areas along the I90 and I35 they have no LTE service at all.

Verizon works the best of any carrier in the area that I live work and play in. Sprint sucks.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Speedometer xPro, but apparently not available any more? I got it 5+ years ago. There are a bunch of alternatives available out there, though.
    LOL, yeah the scope is on my list, but I've been getting these shots for years, so it's too late now.:) No matter, I've had the 5c 4 years, so it doesn't owe me anything, really.

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    4G LTE coverage for your state with T-Mobile. I use a prepaid plan...$40 a month.

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Well that makes sense now why my sprint service was good around town and along the highway. 1% difference haha try again sprint.

I don't usually get too wound up over phones but I am getting a little bit over this one. Excited and a little anxious to get my hands on it. Just another week to go.

7. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Picked up the s9 yesterday........
    After 1 day I'm so far NOT impressed. Overly complicated. Sooo many redundant duplicate apps!! Why the hell do I need 5 apps for google??? (Which by the way is inserting itself into Waaaaaayy too many things beyond the apps) 2 email apps. 2 text messaging apps. And the ads?!?!? What the hell man so many ads. Everything is loaded with ads!!!

The curved screen is really really weird to look at anything near the edge of the screen - text/pic whatever looks like it's "falling" off the edge.

I can't even go on nastyz from the damn thing it immediately starts BLARING some ad video bs! I'm using my old iPhone to post this.

I'm trying to figure the thing out but so far it looks like I made a $800 mistake

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Gramps

You need to delete the email and text apps you don't want to use.

Ads? I don't have any problems with my Note 8.

Personally, I wouldn't have gone with the 9, I would have looked for a deal on an 8, 8+ or the Note 8 (like I did just a month ago). My Note 8 was only $500 and is a lot more phone than the 9.

I can get on to nastyz on my note 8.

Seems like something is wrong with your setup.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Ditto to all the above. Disable and/or uninstall apps you don't need, want, or use. My Note 8 runs like a well oiled machine.

10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Shouldn't have to spend a week deleting garbage, not for what these suckers cost. If it was an elcheapo knockoff sure I could see it being loaded with crap but really? Pretty ridiculous.
    It's going to be returned I'll pay the 30 fee and call it a day. It was a mistake.