New phones...which do you prefer

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Mar 4, 2018.

iPhones or Samsung S series

1. Iphone

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. S series

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Ok I get the 3rd party app thing, but can also see why Apple keeps those out preventing harmful or malicious software(or money grab) and the "rooting" or hotrodding of the phones programming same reasons. Aside from that what are the perks you speak of that isn't offered?

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

The crank makers also make my buggy whips and they going to all online sales. No more brick and mortar stores. Darn it. Well, if I have to use a computer only from my home, I won't have to work so hard to be house broken.

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Rhe
    The S-Pen, expandable storage, 3rd party apps, better camera(s) (mine has dual foward facing cameras), Samsung pay (more secure, easier to set up, and accepted more places than Apple Pay) and the added security of facial recognition, iris scan, fingerprint, and/or PIN # to unlock the phone.

Plus Samsung has never embedded firmware that intentionally slows older phones down to make the user desire a new, faster phone like Apple admitted to after they were caught.

When encrypted, these phones are nearly impossible to hack. I use 3 different security apps that do a great job of stopping viruses, spam, and malware. Phone runs like a top.

4. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Auburn NY
    No spam or pop ups with my iPhone

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    I've got an anti-Samsung bias, so I can't switch over to them.:) I've been iOS for years, far too deep to switch to Android now. Though I will say I've been tiring of some Apple BS lately... I don't buy the latest and greatest anymore, still rocking the 5c until it dies. The camera is starting to suck for focus, but taking pictures looking into 700C furnaces might have something to do with that.:D

gramps- if it's just the battery that's bugging you, you may well fall under the $29 replacement program with Apple. You can schedule it at a store nearby (if you have one).

LOL at the Luddites. I don't do social media, either, but my phone is-

1. Complete contact list.
    2. Fax machine.
    3. Scanner
    4. Translator
    5. OBDII Scanner
    6. Vibration analyzer
    7. Speedo with heads up display (at night, daytime is lame)
    8. Bank- check depositor
    9. Weatherman
    10. Stock checker.
    11. Star map.
    12. Level
    13. Heart rate monitor
    14. Unit converter
    15. Hiking trail mapper
    16. WiFi Sweet spot finder

The list goes on and on. If you can dream it, a smartphone can probably do it.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

I'm not a Luddite, I'm a neo-Luddite. I don't buy new. I wait for improved.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Smartphones have been around for a very long time. The first iPhone came out in 2007 - and it was YEARS late to the party. I had my first smartphone years before that.

The first iPhone was a total bust as a phone and a smartphone (as I posted earlier - only available on the worst network, very limited functionality and no email capability).

It has been improved dramatically.

I still wouldn't buy an iPhone, but that's only because Androids are even better - IMHO.

8. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    Crapple used to make you get all your media from Itunes where android devices could just get uploaded with media like mp3s you already paid for somewhere else. That was the deal killer for me.

Now it seems Icrap is used mostly by pretentious people where android devices are used by normal, down to earth, good old boys..:)

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Wife and I just switched from Sprint to Verizon. Now we have iPhone8s. I was perfectly happy with my 6, but we bought these now. Haven't noticed any difference in service, yet. Anyone else with Verizon? Pros/Cons?

10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    I was with sprint for years and my in town service was fine. However if I drove 2 hours west I'd have signal along the highway but a half mile north or south of the highway and no signal at all. Was very frustrating sprint kept telling me there's no signal issue but 3 different phones all with the same lack of signal. Anyway I went to Verizon 4 years ago and aside from being a little more expensive no issues at all. You do pay for what you get I guess lol.

Smokey15 likes this.