New phones...which do you prefer

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Mar 4, 2018.

iPhones or Samsung S series

1. Iphone

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. S series

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    When people didn't have it, they didn't need it and life went on just fine.

2. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Absolutely! I was being facetious. Many times I hear the statement "how could we have made it without this?" Funny, me and millions of others did.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

I'm starting to have trouble with my 10 year old flip phone. The battery will hold a charge for 5 or 6 days at most. I may have to go with a smart phone but I'm hoping to get another flip. My company phone is also a flip phone. If I need to get online, I use a computer. (Like now.)

TMobile is a bad word at work. I run a loading dock and most truck drivers don't have CB radios. We have a sign to tell them what number to call and when (during or after regular work hours) but a lot of them go with TMobile because it's cheap. It also doesn't have much of a signal at work. Drivers (who often don't speak much English, if any) get lost and hold everybody up.

Somewhere I have another phone like mine. If I can find it, I can swap batteries. Otherwise, I'm watching to see what everybody here says.

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    There's no doubt I could live perfectly fine without mine. I actually forgot mine Friday when I walked out the door going to work. By the time figured out I didn't have it, it was way too late to even consider going back home to retrieve it.

I know some people who would never made it through the day. Didn't bother me one bit. I don't do social media...this website and another forum are about as close as I get. Had 18 missed calls when I finally got home Friday. Most were from my dispatch trying to reach me throughout the day....but oh well.

For me the convience is from a logistics standpoint. People can email me forms...I can retrieve, sign and email them back directly from this phone. No need for a fax machine or snail mail.

5. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    How long did it take you to upgrade from horseback to the horseless carriage?:D

Mr_Metal and muscl car like this.
  6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    What is it that you CAN do more of with the Samsung than the iPhone? I keep hearing this from people but have yet to get an actual answer.
    They both call/text/email whatever social media apps you prefer. Both can surf the net (nasty z included), take pictures, play games, with the right app can send wirelessly to your printer. So what is the "MORE" that can be done?

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

I started out with horseless carriages. I'm thinking about upgrading to an automatic transmission and self starter. :rolleyes:

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Another Note 8 owner.

I worked in the wireless industry from 1991 - 2008. When the iPhone first came out it was only available on what is now known as ATT (one of the worst networks out there at the time) and was only usable as a toy. It had no email capability and because of the network - could barely function to make phone calls.

Apple has added functionality since those early days and it is now a functional smart phone. But battery life is substandard (watch at any airport and see the number of iPhone users tethered to a charger).

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    What! You would actually consider giving up that dependable hand crank in favor of one of those new fangled 'lectric things? ;)

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    For starters, I can download and utilize 3rd party apps. I'm not bound to only the Google Play stores like IPhones are to ITunes/Apple. Then there's the helpful manipulation of rooting these Android phones. It's like getting a custom tune on one of these newer vehicles.

I've played around with my wife's IPhone and attempted several things I can do with my Galaxy. Either Apple doesn't offer the specific apps or the phone is incapable of a few key perks of my Note 8.