New owner, just south of Calgary

Discussion in 'Canadian Owners' started by Ron D, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Ron D

Ron D New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Purchased a 70 Z28 RS late last year and subsequently found this wonderful site. Car spent most of its life in Indiana and came with a significant amount of documentation and for the most part is in great shape. I lusted after this model in the 80's having been born a little past the muscle car era (was 10 at the time in 1970) but life got in the way and owning a "toy" as the wife calls it wasn't a reality until later in life. I wish I had the skillset many of you do as well as the space to work on it but I don't so necessary items will be addressed as my budget allows.

Looking forward to learning a great deal from the learned population here!

2. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    Welcome aboard !

3. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    I'm not far from Calgary either, welcome !!

4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Welcome to the madness!!!

5. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Ron, welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase. I am just west of you in BC...post some pics of your Z.

6. 1971zed

1971zed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Retired in Ottawa Canada
    Welcome. Looking forward to some photos.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you

8. Ron D

Ron D New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Appreciate the welcome. Haven't taken many pics but here are a couple.

From the documentation (some owner titles, some research by a prior owner) that was supplied with the car - taken at face value....:

Originally sold at Connor Chevrolet in Roanoke, IN (don't have the original dealer sheet)
    Has had 1 paint job since new, back around 2000 when the original black vinyl roof was removed. Rear quarters were replaced with GM stock ones. Original color has been maintained. Far from perfect 17 years later but the paint is pretty nice as is the color.
    Engine was done around the same time (not many miles since)- noted as being bored, balanced and blue printed by Indiana machinist/racer Ruben Jones and reportedly the heads were done by Lingenfelter. Have no need to dyno the car but would think it has as much as it did stock if not more. Local mechanic who had a 70 Firebird not so long ago thinks its around 400, maybe a touch more but as I'm not into racing it, its a number I don't "need" to know.
    Has a 4:10 posi back end (not a highway cruiser)
    TH-400 with a "slight" shift kit
    Came with the original spare tire on factory Z28 rim - noted as only being used once
    All glass is original
    Exhaust sounds amazing (to me) but the tail pipes are not the correct orientation - something I can live with

I have addressed some issues on the front end/steering and it has a few small leaks that I will get looked at as funding becomes available. Probably going to need front and rear springs next year. 1970 Camaro RS Z28.jpg Camaro z28 engine compartment.jpg

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Very nice looking car right now! Where about south of Calgary are you located? I was born and raised in SW Calgary, near the Glenmore reservoir. Now that is almost in the middle of the city with all the growth I've seen on the south side of the city.