New NPD Dash Pad

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by garyandcindy, Jul 9, 2013.

1. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    That's just great! You would think they would test fit an original and then modify every aspect that would improve its fit and finish and be done with it once and for all. Now I have more to do! ARG!

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Look on the bright side, the simulated stitching is good.:)

3. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    Always the optimist! Ha!!!
    So true, better than the forever curl!!!
    Oh, well...Back to shortage remediation!....(Story of my life!)

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Same thing my girlfriend said,

5. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    If anyone is interested in one of these pads send me a pm.Ac pad.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I installed my NPD pad in 2016 and about six months later I notices a raised area in front of the speaker grill. It wasn't that bad when I originally installed it. See photo.

image.jpeg

Well looking through some photos the other day I figured out what the issue is. A part of the metal dash is raised. You can see it in the photo of the old dash. I didn't catch this when I put it in originally.

image.jpeg

Im going to take it apart this weekend and fix it if i can find time. This will allow also me to work on the firmest issue above the cluster like others have had. Man I hate having to do things twice.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    The NPD pad quality isn't the best. By far better then a rolled up dashpad, but I have seen some high dollar cars with perfect custom dashes...I think that's money better spent.

8. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    This is how bad my original dash was. You could put the Sunday paper in it. The NPD dash that I put in will be just fine. It just needs some fine tuning and will look great.

image.jpeg

9. Green hornet

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    image.jpeg

I pulled my NPD dash apart to correct a few things. The above photo is a before of the cluster area and a raised area by the speaker. I was able to get the raised area by the speaker down but above the cluster I still have an issue. I removed material in this area like others have done, I put a spacer in above the cluster like others but it still is not enough. Any ideas. Here is an after photo

image.jpeg