New member - old car..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 71RS6SPD, Nov 15, 2016.

1. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    That's cool! Crazy how many people have had there cars since they were kids basically. Bought my 71 in 85 and tore it down. 30+ years later opening boxes from GM bought in 87. Lol!!! Sold my hugger orange 68 in 88. Man I read these posts and trip out over how close a lot of the stories are.

2. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Ha that's cool, I was 18 when I bought it and I'll be 60 soon. I have some GM boxes from early 80's that I have still not opened! trim and stuff. I found 'new' carpets that are probably trashed as they have been home to some kind of mammals for years (lots of acorns so...). I also have some OER items I bought 20+ years ago when they were half the price. I'm still searching for parts I know I purchased way back but cannot yet find. Need to check the attic but the 'static' car is under the hatch 10' feet up so i can't get a ladder in there. Still spending too much now but still cheaper than monthly payments in a long run. Resisting temptation on all sorts of things I can wait on. Like the Hurst Nitro Shifter. - I want one. Plan to use the button for the reverse lockout release on the t56. All fun!

3. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Thanks, I should have the baffles and grilles by next week.. Will install and post picts and notes.

4. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    I've done a couple cars along the way. Growing up running the streets in some bad a-- hot rods was the best!!! I think the coolest part of it now for me is the granddaughter is a little gear head!!! She's 13 and I gave her a 57 belair 2d hard top for her birthday. Project of course. She already has it mapped out. I have a 6.0ls. She said it has to be a bbc. Almost brought a tear to my eye lol! Miss the days of tunnel ram big blocks. And 9000rpm small blocks running the streets everywhere! Cops watched you race. Crazy!

5. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Ha - 13 and a BBC fan. Nice. Lucky you! I have a few grandsons. The oldest is 6 so it'll be a while. Hopefully I'll be there and at least one will be interested - and they still sell gas (ha). I expect one of them is going to get this car.

I do remember an abandoned straight industrial road we called 'the strip".. "Meet you down the strip".. It was 1/4 mile raced on every weekend with an audience - all local kids. Eventually they wanted to close it down. First they used trees - we moved them. Then they used cement blocks - a guy with a back hoe moved them too. Then they laid dozens of asphalt mounds across it and it was over. We found other places...

This is the first Camaro I bought out of 5 after a 340 Duster and some others. Then I got into vettes in the 80's... still have one. For the most part over the past 20 years my focus is on being a biker.. have 6 -- 1/2 of them dirt bikes. Love the woods - been trail riding all my life.

6. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    Very cool! Got my first mini bike for my 5th birthday and have never been without. We have some woods and quads, dirt bikes. Once it's in your blood you never get rid of it. Granddaughter is my riding buddy, grandma has her harleyed out. She was 6 months old and I zipped her in my jacket and putted up and down the road. She's hooked!

7. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Yep I got the fever young too. I had to buy mine w/o my mom knowing. she never went in the garage. Dad was OK with it. I was 12 working Sat's saved 400 for a new honda ct70 4 speed in '69. It was like a Harley to me back then. Funny thing - the new ones have the exact same motor and now cost close to 2g's. Now I have 2 real HD's and an 08 CBR1000RR. I have '12 EXC500 with a plate on it and street knobs - an '07 450x for dedicated woods - and a can-am quad. Recently sold my 4th and last CR500. I already sat the gkids on a bike and started it.. what a look on their faces! My daughter is not into bikes and I don't know if I'll get them on a bike for a ride any time soon. I plan to try - maybe the quad will be acceptable to her. We ride right from my home. Many miles of single track in the woods nearby.

8. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Decided tonight to sell the quad and turn it into Camaro parts.

9. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    I thinned the dirt bike herd. Still have my rm 250 2 stroker And a crf 50, Pit bike now. My clan has been burning up the quads and ranger.

10. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    So I have been working on the interior - making a console and lots of wiring. I had this vision of a wooden console many years ago. Later - about 15 years ago when I moved here. Instead of paying for a new kitchen, I spent much of the money equipping a woodworking shop in the basement and made my own cabinets and counters. Now I get to play in the basement. I purchased 'Rift' oak to build the face frames.. This is straight grain from a specific section of the tree. I decided to built a wooden console using it. IMG_20170211_193749905.jpg
    The push button switches are for the trunk and door pops - they are military surplus found on ebay. The box under the dash is for a Pioneer avic head unit with NAV and rear camera. It also swivels. The timing computer will mount where the OEM radio was with a wooden panel to match below.

While I was testing the fit.. I installed the hurst pistol grip shifter arm. It was really cold to the touch as it's aluminum.. That made me think of a having a wooden one for the cold weather.. So I made one..
    IMG_20170201_235714441_HDR.jpg
    Cutting the hole was trick IMG_20170211_105500707.jpg y - I machined the final shape after it was mounted to the shaft. Fits my hand perfectly. Cant wait to see how it works..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017