New member - old car..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 71RS6SPD, Nov 15, 2016.

1. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Hi all,
    I have a 71 RS. I have owned it since 1975 but it has not been on the road since 1979. A couple months back, I finally decided to finish it. I did much of the work many years ago and have parts in boxes purchased back in the 80's. Good thing as prices sure went up. Its a resto mod. Don't care about originality as I will never sell it - and I want close to 500 hp.

One thing I noticed is that there are certainly lots of aftermarket parts available. This has made it easier to do now than 20 or 30 years ago. The motor and drive train are done as well as the brakes and body. It's in primer and all original except some dings I had to take out of the doors from years of storage.

30 years ago I shaved the door handles and removed the trunk lock. I also molded many of the body panels together including a 3 piece 73 spoiler. It has alum sub frame bushings (lowered a little). Huge Addco sway bars with solid links up front. Frame connectors and Jbars. New 10 bolt posi rear with 4.10's, rear discs, and a shaft loop. It's a small block 30 over, TRW forged pistons, forged crank, 69cc heads, windage tray, 4 bolt high tin block, holly 780 df vac, street dominator manifold, headers, hefty cam flat tappet hyd.

30+ years ago I purchased new control arms and springs from a GM dealer. That was also a good time to look for parts at bone yards. I found a WS6 TA with 5k miles on it. From it came an original Borg Warner T56 speed and the 13 to 1 steering box and 3rd gen brake booster and master cyl. I also found low mileage 2.02 angle plug heads. I had made the 6 speed fit with a DIY setup but after recent review - there will be exhaust issues. So I just installed the G-force member - awesome fit and stronger (cheap enough and easy install 229). I bought a 99 c5 in 99 and decided to use the clutch setup from it so I purchased a complete hyd clutch setup for a C5 from GM and that's all installed with a light flywheel.

I replaced the speedo and tach with cyberdyne guages that I bought way back as the trans has no cable option. They are mounted into the original dash (a project). Centerline forged polished alum wheels 9.5" with 245 17's all around, Same size tire as the c5 fronts. I just received new leather seats from Summit. There is so much more history and parts - I will stop now. I'm working on electrical and interior now. Need help/ideas on how to paint the rear upper dash panel. So close to a new windshield (40 years old but new) and no room to repaint it. Not sure how to do it. Brushing may be the only way. Needs to go black from brown as the dash panel has already.

I also should say thanks to posters on this site and it's creator as it's already been helpful! Using the wiring diagrams tonight.. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    John Wright likes this.
  2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Welcome!! Sounds like a great build. Pictures!!!

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Glad to have you. It's amazing to hear that you have kept your car so long. Most would have sold it to get it out of the way. Keep us posted and load some pictures.

4. broahnazki

broahnazki Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2014
    los angeles
    Wow. Looking fwd to seeing how this project turns out. Goodluck

5. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    Gonna need some picturesss

6. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Welcome to the group.

7. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Thanks for your responses. I found a few recent picts and will take more. It's not very photogenic yet as it's apart almost everywhere. Here is a shot of the the molded rear end and some recent work. Dash cluster mod for guages, some chrome engine goodies installed last week, an MSD mount panel I made yesterday and the newly black dash pad. You can also see the see the guide coat I sanded off the door to look for issues. It's looks a mess but is as smooth as glass. I used a 20" long sanding block.

Attached Files:

8. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Installed 200 Summit exhaust system yesterday - will do 'till next year. Worked on the ignition system today.. I have an Accell Timing Computer and an MSD 6AL. The timing computer offers timing curve adjustments for every 100 RPM, an adjustable rev limiter, function for NOS and boost (NOS maybe but not yet), and additional adjustable rpm trigger outputs for whatever. I am going to use it for a shift light.. The cam was purchased so long ago - I don't know how many RPM's it's good for. I think I remember 7800 (I hope it's that high) but I will be experimenting.
    IMAG0762[1].jpg
    I am making harnesses for the ignition parts so they can be easily removed.
    IMAG0764[1].jpg
    I ordered some diamond plate from Amazon and cut out a piece to mount the MSD box, coil, map sensor, and a fuse - the power comes from the battery cable in rear and going through the firewall just to the right of the coil. All the mounting bolts are tapped so no nuts are required on the back. Will add red lock tite before install.
    IMAG0777[1].jpg

Need to clean the inside of the car before installation... tomorrow.. I added that tilt wheel - It's all wired now - just need to test directionals. I think I figured out the one wire alternator setup, removed the voltage regulator and wired the rear battery setup. IMAG0781[1].jpg
    Centerline wheels almost 20 years old. Not sure why the tires have no cracks. I bet they have flat spots though. I plan to bake them round again! Same size front at rear so: bake, rotate, repeat...
    IMAG0782[1].jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  9. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    mean sway bars.. will probably start rattling before too long.. the roads around here are good though - one of the reasons I moved here. IMAG0783[1].jpg

10. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I refinished the interior. Most of it had an old light brown finish that was painted over a dark brown 40 years ago. It's all black now and I will add some blue touches later.
    bad photo but you get the pict.. Removing those staples was a pita. Strongest staples I've ever seen.
    IMAG0723.jpg

SEM soap - then prepsol - then sand free and while still wet - the first light color coat. The a second wet coat:
    IMAG0799.jpg
    IMAG0802.jpg
    When the paint arrives, next is paint the metal dash under the windshield black with a fan brush.