New location for MSD box

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by muscl car, Feb 15, 2018.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Since putting carpet in I had to remove the 7AL2 box and since all my wiring is in this location I decided to mount it here

I'm going to use 6 gang terminal blocks for the wiring so it will be easily removable . The wiring isn't completed in this pic and/or is the MSD box

0215181316.jpg

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    With all the heat from the supercharger I mounted mine on the passenger transmission tunnel. Using the MSD shock mounts I mounted my Crane Hi-6 TR So it would be out of the way of the passengers feet

muscl car likes this.
  3. muscl car

I tried that location or anywhere on the trans tunnel and just way to big to fit nicely . I rarely have passengers and have even considered removing the pass seat

EDIT ...

The old location was on the toe board very close to the firewall and was just to hard to get to the RPM pills

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's where mine is on the 70 1/2, works perfect there.
    Easy to work on, easy to change chips, plenty of air space around it.
    Mine is on a 5-6 inch stand to keep away from the header heat.
    I don't have a seat, the N2O bottle is where the seat goes.

muscl car likes this.
  5. muscl car

Awesome !! , I picked a good location for it then . I do have it mounted on Sprint car MSD magneto box bracket along with the vibration damper mounts . its 2" above the floor so as you mentioned it is receiving adequate airflow

This is the box mount I'm using

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/...MIq9X-i6Gp2QIV1C-BCh3s7gSbEAQYBCABEgIMMvD_BwE

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    A Crane Hi-6 TR is the same size as an MSD box ,So it works for my application.

7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had the heating guy next to my shop just fold up a piece of thick sheet metal.
    That looks nice, but I wanted mine much higher, I don't have exhaust, so it gets real hot in that area.

Also being so tall, I was able to mount the window switch on 1 leg, and the N2O relays on the other leg.

muscl car likes this.
  8. muscl car

Got the wiring done this afternoon and nice and clean install

0217181706.jpg

9. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Forgive me , but why finalize the location before gitting rid of the clunky dash ??

10. muscl car

No need to replace the dash !!!:) , it's not a concourse or show pony car , just a go fast car !!