New laptop quit connecting to wifi

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Highlife, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Highlife

Highlife Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Somewhere down in Texas
    it shows it has a wifi signal but won't connect to the World Wide Web. How do I fix this?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Try unplugging the router for about 10 seconds, that usually cures mine.

3. Highlife

Highlife Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Somewhere down in Texas
    10-4 thanks. What's a router?

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Make sure it's not in airplane mode. Might do a complete shutdown and restart.

5. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    Router is the device that converts the incoming internet signal to wireless. It can also be used to hard wire a device. I agree to try unplugging the router for 10 seconds then trying again.

If that does not work find an Ethernet cord and plug it in direct to the router and the computer and see if the computer connects to the internet.

Do you have anything else that's wireless in the house? I-pad or something? Is that working on wifi?

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Is it a Windows 10 machine?
    Wireless drivers have been a big issue with this operating system.

If that's the case.... You either need to get an updated wireless driver for the internal board or bypass it completely by using a usb wireless adapter (and its driver) which is Windows 10 Compatible.

My home desktop (Win8 updated to Win10) just started having a problem with the Ethernet connection. Says it's connected, packets are moving but internet no worky. (It has no wireless hardware.)
    Modem's been rebooted, I did a system restore, refreshed all Networking software and checked every possible network setting.

I'm looking into USB wireless adapters for a quick fix right now.

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Need more info. What wifi is it connected to, if any. Is it your wifi? Do you know the password? What operating system is on your computer; that will help us to help you find the right connection method.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    ^All very good questions!

BTW... The wireless usb I got today works perfectly!
    Plugged it in and it didn't even require a software install.
    You just need to know your wifi password. (Unless it's a public hotspot.)

9. Highlife

Highlife Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Somewhere down in Texas
    It's a new HP machine, it works as a touch screen and regular, it is windows 10. Its my home wifi, which my phone works on, as well as other peoples when they come over. I unplugged the modem/router, that didn't change anything. It connects to the internet just fine when I hook it up with a cord.

10. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    Hook it up with the cord, go to windows update and see if it finds a driver for it. Might work.