New Headers Melted AC Box

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by wdstamper, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I have Doug Thorley "big tube "headers on mine .with a supercharged small block..And they weren`t that tight.And if you want to keep you AC. You could notch your "AC" box with #1 build a heat shield , #2 wrap your headers in that area. for a couple of ideas.

2. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to try to repair the damage (see better pic below) with a fiberglass kit and see if Summit's Thermo Tec Adhesive Back Heat Barrier will work. Supposed to be good up to 2000 degrees. I have emailed them to ask for their thoughts.

AC Box Melted 2.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Well I`m glad to be able to help you.

4. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Update in case someone else has a similar problem. I ditched the Summit ceramic coated headers as they ran way to hot for my car. With the help of PalmbchZ28, I went to the Headman 65104s. I sent them out to a local shop and had them coated with Cerakote for guns. I have about 400 miles on the headers now. I'm not sure how or why this set up works but my ac box runs cooler and has not melted from the header heat like it did with the old headers. Thanks for all the input.

Walt

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    All ceramic coating is not equal. Glad it worked !!

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A little late to the party, but to keep my AC box cooler I applied adhesive backed insulating mat to the entire suticase and then wrapped my headers in that area. I ran them for awhile without it and did not have any issues with melting the box. Mine are very close, maybe a 1/4" inch away. Stainless Works headers.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Hi,
    What is the cost range, and I see that Cerakote , seems to have different types of coating, the stuff looks great, great, chemical resistance and corrosion resistance and on and on, so was there a TYPE or just the regular? And did you coat the inside as well? or just 2 coats on the outside,
    Thanks

8. PalmbchZ28

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    $350 . - 2 coats in out
    Air dry not oven baked.

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Thanks , and one last question, did you just get the raw steel headers, or did they have an original coating first?

10. PalmbchZ28

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    They had that black crappy primer to keep them from rusting. They bead blast them first.