New Crate Motor Distributor-TDC Help!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by wdstamper, Feb 13, 2018.

1. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    I chased this before. My harmonic balancer had more than one line on it, it was 120 degrees off. That took about 1/2 hour to figure that out. I pulled the dizzy, bumped the starter until it gave me the right timing mark and dropped it back in. bingo, 180 degrees off. Lifted the dizzy a couple inches, ( cap off) dropped it back in with the back side of the rotor facing #1 and she fired right up. Being one tooth off is sometimes helpful, i just pull all the wires and rotate them in the cap. Sometimes the vacuum advance canister is pointing too far to the left, moving the plug wires one hole equals 45 degrees of rotation. Sounds way more complicated than it is. The first couple of times I was wondering if I'd ever get it right. Called a buddy and he had it running in less than 3 minutes, Note to self, remember what he just did.lol

2. railxmad2

railxmad2 New Member

Feb 11, 2018
    been there done that lmfao

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
  4. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    A top dead center finder is the most accurate way to find tdc. Takes the guesswork out of the process.

5. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Thank for the input guys. I think I got it installed right tonight. I'll know for sure when I try to fired it up.

Walt

6. railxmad2

railxmad2 New Member

Feb 11, 2018
    i want a pic of no eye brows lol