New Crate Motor Distributor-TDC Help!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by wdstamper, Feb 13, 2018.

1. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Looking for a little help with re-installing my distributor. I installed my crate motor this weekend but removed my distributor (installed from the factory) so I did not break it dropping my motor in. Before I pulled the distributor out I took pictures of the location and made sure my balancer was on the zero mark for TDC. Unfortunately, I turned the balancer during the motor install.

When I tried re-installing the distributor I could not get it back to the exact location from where I removed it. I used the duct tape method to find TDC, i.e. when I turned the motor over with a ratchet and it blew the tape off the number one cylinder, I stopped the balancer at the zero mark. I should be at TDC?

I can get the distributor almost to the same spot from when I pulled it. So my question is based on the pics below is it close enough to get the motor started and timed? The first pic is from the factor (before I removed it) and the second pic is where its at after the reinstall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Walt

Timing Pic 1.jpg

Timing Pic 2.jpg

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Is the problem that the distributor will not sit down firmly on the intake? If so, it's just not aligning with the oil pump drive, it's seated in the cam correctly. You can hold the distributor in place, bump the engine over with the starter and it will fall in place. If you want to bring it back around to tdc on #1 and recheck. Remember you need to advance the distributor a bit before startup.

3. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    No. It sits fine on the intake. I cannot seem to line up the distributor to the number one cylinder as in the first picture from the factory. Its off a half inch or so. I can only get it close as in the second pic of the distributor on the motor. Thanks.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Okay, you may have it off a notch. A lot of times, you can rotate the distributor enough to compensate for that. Set the cap on the distributor, take a magic marker and mark on the base of the distributor that aligns with #1 on the cap. Pull the cap back off and see how close the rotor points to the mark you just made.

5. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Just pull the dist out and take a LONG straight blade screwdriver and turn the oilpump drive shaft to where you need it

bourbon_scotch and Cardinal like this.
  6. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    +1--^ but also move one gear tooth over

7. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Get a flash light and a long screw driver. Be POSITIVE you are at top dead center on the COMPRESSION stroke. Look down the hole and turn the oil drive shaft until the slot in it points at the number 5 cylinder. Where ever you marked the distributer housing for top dead on number one, turn the rotor tip so it is just before that mark and drop it in. If the rotor tip is now aligning with your mark, Bingo! If not, mess with it until it is. Like said before, you might be a tooth off on the distibuter drive gear.

8. railxmad2

railxmad2 New Member

Feb 11, 2018

9. railxmad2

railxmad2 New Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Remember the dis. Bottom gear is tampered it doesn’t drop straight down it turns a little as it goes down in the gears then the oil rod lines in to finish the rest of the way into place. When you mark button at number one wire on cap back up a little drop it down if oil rod is off pull use long screwdriver turn rod try again.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    This part is always the fun part. When you think you have it in correctly and then shoot a big ball of flame out the carb and singe your eyebrows. Then you know it is 180 out.